Late-night food options give students extra freedom, flexibility

Starting Aug. 25, students will be able to sink their teeth into the new “Late Night Dining” option at the Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall.

This program, which is offered by the University of Miami Department of Dining Services in collaboration with Chartwells, will operate from Thursday through Saturday from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m.

“The decision to pilot the program came as a result of campus surveys, town hall meetings and Student Government input and feedback,” said director of dining services Ana Alvarez in an email.

The menu will feature meal options from breakfast to dessert. There will be a specially made omelet station as well as another for grilled items such as hamburgers, cheeseburgers, veggie burgers, chicken sandwiches and fries. The Sandwich Central Station will have a menu that includes both hot and cold deli options. If students are looking for dessert, there will also be yogurt and toppings offered.

Some students who cannot easily access off campus eateries look forward to this option.

“Since I don’t have a car on campus, it is really convenient that the school has a late night dining program in case I crave a midnight snack,” said freshman Kenny Langer.

Jackie Salo

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...