Good eats Around UM

Marlena Skrobe//Photo Editor

Navigating your way through Miami’s cuisine can be daunting, and deciding which restaurant to choose for tonight’s outing may ruin your appetite. To ease your transition into food mania, here are four must-try restaurants in our backyard.

Pizza Rustica

You’re in Miami, it’s time to be ballsy. And for a dose of culinary rebellion, don’t miss the iconic flavors of Pizza Rustica just down the street. With the original outposts in the heart of South Beach, this local eatery serves up rectangular slices of freshly prepared pizzas ranging from the traditional, pepperoni or cheese, to the innovative, chicken parmesan or shrimp al pesto. Though the menu offers panini and salads, the deal makers are found in each slice of originality, all made with a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil and 100 percent Grade A cheese. Most notably, UM students are offered a 10 percent discount.

Versailles

Tres croquetas de jamon y un café con leche, por favor. Minutes after landing at MIA, the Latin influence that makes Miami doesn’t go unnoticed. So for a crash course in basic Spanish and an authentic taste of Cuban cuisine, head over to Versailles on Calle Ocho, located in the heart of Little Havana. Join locals as they gorge into greasy samplings of rice and beans, breaded steak, or fried plantains, and take advantage of the cultural influx you’re now a part of. Having recently celebrated their 40th anniversary, the staff is on a friendly high and is sure to offer some Latin hospitality, usually all in Spanish.

OneBurger

With dripping Worcestershire sauce smothered atop green leaf lettuce, tomato, cheddar cheese and Italian pancetta bacon slices, the “Fancy Bacon Cheddar” burger at OneBurger is just one of many flavorful versions of an All-American burger. The menu is divided into four sections, offering a selection of beef, chicken and turkey, seafood and vegetarian burgers for all types of food lovers. It’s located close by on Alhambra Circle in Coral Gables, but for days when heading out is too much work, OneBurger delivers … for free. Even more enticing, all UM students are offered a 20 percent discount.

Akashi

Great Japanese cuisine is hard to come by, but since 1993, Akashi has been home to a nearby institute of sushi heaven. Take advantage of the “exotic sushi rolls,” with delectable options like the “caliente” roll, filled with fried white filet, spicy mayo, lettuce and seaweed outside. The original location is a hop off the metro rail, minutes from Sunset Place, but a new location has recently opened in Coconut Grove.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Throughout campus, students expressed gratitude that they can be at UM and visit family during the T ...

Vector-borne specialist John Beier tells us what we should know about the illness. ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...