Good eats Around UM

Marlena Skrobe//Photo Editor

Navigating your way through Miami’s cuisine can be daunting, and deciding which restaurant to choose for tonight’s outing may ruin your appetite. To ease your transition into food mania, here are four must-try restaurants in our backyard.

Pizza Rustica

You’re in Miami, it’s time to be ballsy. And for a dose of culinary rebellion, don’t miss the iconic flavors of Pizza Rustica just down the street. With the original outposts in the heart of South Beach, this local eatery serves up rectangular slices of freshly prepared pizzas ranging from the traditional, pepperoni or cheese, to the innovative, chicken parmesan or shrimp al pesto. Though the menu offers panini and salads, the deal makers are found in each slice of originality, all made with a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil and 100 percent Grade A cheese. Most notably, UM students are offered a 10 percent discount.

Versailles

Tres croquetas de jamon y un café con leche, por favor. Minutes after landing at MIA, the Latin influence that makes Miami doesn’t go unnoticed. So for a crash course in basic Spanish and an authentic taste of Cuban cuisine, head over to Versailles on Calle Ocho, located in the heart of Little Havana. Join locals as they gorge into greasy samplings of rice and beans, breaded steak, or fried plantains, and take advantage of the cultural influx you’re now a part of. Having recently celebrated their 40th anniversary, the staff is on a friendly high and is sure to offer some Latin hospitality, usually all in Spanish.

OneBurger

With dripping Worcestershire sauce smothered atop green leaf lettuce, tomato, cheddar cheese and Italian pancetta bacon slices, the “Fancy Bacon Cheddar” burger at OneBurger is just one of many flavorful versions of an All-American burger. The menu is divided into four sections, offering a selection of beef, chicken and turkey, seafood and vegetarian burgers for all types of food lovers. It’s located close by on Alhambra Circle in Coral Gables, but for days when heading out is too much work, OneBurger delivers … for free. Even more enticing, all UM students are offered a 20 percent discount.

Akashi

Great Japanese cuisine is hard to come by, but since 1993, Akashi has been home to a nearby institute of sushi heaven. Take advantage of the “exotic sushi rolls,” with delectable options like the “caliente” roll, filled with fried white filet, spicy mayo, lettuce and seaweed outside. The original location is a hop off the metro rail, minutes from Sunset Place, but a new location has recently opened in Coconut Grove.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...