Good eats Around UM

Marlena Skrobe//Photo Editor

Navigating your way through Miami’s cuisine can be daunting, and deciding which restaurant to choose for tonight’s outing may ruin your appetite. To ease your transition into food mania, here are four must-try restaurants in our backyard.

Pizza Rustica

You’re in Miami, it’s time to be ballsy. And for a dose of culinary rebellion, don’t miss the iconic flavors of Pizza Rustica just down the street. With the original outposts in the heart of South Beach, this local eatery serves up rectangular slices of freshly prepared pizzas ranging from the traditional, pepperoni or cheese, to the innovative, chicken parmesan or shrimp al pesto. Though the menu offers panini and salads, the deal makers are found in each slice of originality, all made with a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil and 100 percent Grade A cheese. Most notably, UM students are offered a 10 percent discount.

Versailles

Tres croquetas de jamon y un café con leche, por favor. Minutes after landing at MIA, the Latin influence that makes Miami doesn’t go unnoticed. So for a crash course in basic Spanish and an authentic taste of Cuban cuisine, head over to Versailles on Calle Ocho, located in the heart of Little Havana. Join locals as they gorge into greasy samplings of rice and beans, breaded steak, or fried plantains, and take advantage of the cultural influx you’re now a part of. Having recently celebrated their 40th anniversary, the staff is on a friendly high and is sure to offer some Latin hospitality, usually all in Spanish.

OneBurger

With dripping Worcestershire sauce smothered atop green leaf lettuce, tomato, cheddar cheese and Italian pancetta bacon slices, the “Fancy Bacon Cheddar” burger at OneBurger is just one of many flavorful versions of an All-American burger. The menu is divided into four sections, offering a selection of beef, chicken and turkey, seafood and vegetarian burgers for all types of food lovers. It’s located close by on Alhambra Circle in Coral Gables, but for days when heading out is too much work, OneBurger delivers … for free. Even more enticing, all UM students are offered a 20 percent discount.

Akashi

Great Japanese cuisine is hard to come by, but since 1993, Akashi has been home to a nearby institute of sushi heaven. Take advantage of the “exotic sushi rolls,” with delectable options like the “caliente” roll, filled with fried white filet, spicy mayo, lettuce and seaweed outside. The original location is a hop off the metro rail, minutes from Sunset Place, but a new location has recently opened in Coconut Grove.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...