Calm your nerves, find your niche

Yet again, a new year has started. Campus is teeming with excitement and anticipation for the fun times that lay ahead. As a freshman, it can seem overwhelming and there is plenty of different advice for how to adjust to college life. I remember the nervousness well (considering just a year ago I was in the same position), but I have also learned how to get over it. There are key ideas to keep in mind when getting settled in for this year.

Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself to people. If someone looks cool, go say hi. More often than not, they’ll be glad you did. You should really try to expand your social circle and meet as many people as possible. Now is the time. Don’t worry, you’re going to forget a lot of names and faces. Keep an open mind – you could meet a future roommate in the first week (I did).

Take advantage of our campus. You will never have the same freshman experience. Explore and see what UM has to offer. Our campus is beautiful and there are a lot of cool places surrounding it. That being said, don’t forget to venture out into Miami as well.

Have fun with your classes. There will be general ones that you have to take and may not be the most interesting to you. However, if you get a bad vibe your first week of class, you should listen and see what your other options are. It’s better to switch in the first week and get a little off track than to spend a whole semester miserable.

Don’t worry about missing events or something that you wanted to do. There are so many activities to fill your time, and all you have to do is keep your eyes peeled. With that in mind, get involved. Look for clubs that seem interesting. Attend a few meetings to test the waters. Don’t forget it isn’t all about being in class.

Finally, don’t be intimidated by older students. Ask questions. Be proud to go to the U. Go to football games. Go outside your comfort zone. And most importantly, enjoy your freshman year

Natasha Tomchin

Staff EDGE Writer

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...