Calm your nerves, find your niche

Yet again, a new year has started. Campus is teeming with excitement and anticipation for the fun times that lay ahead. As a freshman, it can seem overwhelming and there is plenty of different advice for how to adjust to college life. I remember the nervousness well (considering just a year ago I was in the same position), but I have also learned how to get over it. There are key ideas to keep in mind when getting settled in for this year.

Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself to people. If someone looks cool, go say hi. More often than not, they’ll be glad you did. You should really try to expand your social circle and meet as many people as possible. Now is the time. Don’t worry, you’re going to forget a lot of names and faces. Keep an open mind – you could meet a future roommate in the first week (I did).

Take advantage of our campus. You will never have the same freshman experience. Explore and see what UM has to offer. Our campus is beautiful and there are a lot of cool places surrounding it. That being said, don’t forget to venture out into Miami as well.

Have fun with your classes. There will be general ones that you have to take and may not be the most interesting to you. However, if you get a bad vibe your first week of class, you should listen and see what your other options are. It’s better to switch in the first week and get a little off track than to spend a whole semester miserable.

Don’t worry about missing events or something that you wanted to do. There are so many activities to fill your time, and all you have to do is keep your eyes peeled. With that in mind, get involved. Look for clubs that seem interesting. Attend a few meetings to test the waters. Don’t forget it isn’t all about being in class.

Finally, don’t be intimidated by older students. Ask questions. Be proud to go to the U. Go to football games. Go outside your comfort zone. And most importantly, enjoy your freshman year

Natasha Tomchin

Staff EDGE Writer

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...