News Briefs 8/22

Satisfying driving needs on campus

The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Mini-Flow (Florida Licensing On Wheels) will be renewing vehicle registrations and renewing, replacing, exchanging or receiving new Florida State Driver’s Licenses this week. Written exams and driving tests will not be offered. Appointments are not necessary.

Mini-Flow will be in the first-floor lounge of the University Center from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Wednesday through Friday.

For more information, visit miami.edu/police.

Fall 2011 academic schedule

Wednesday – Classes begin

Sept. 2 – Last day to register for or add a class

Sept. 9 – Last day to drop a course without a “W”

Oct. 17 – Last day to apply for graduation

Oct. 28 – Last day to drop a course

Student Employment Fair

The Student Employment Fair will be held Monday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the UC Lower Lounge. Offices on campus looking to hire will be on-site, including Whitten University Center, Calling Canes, Athletics Facilities, UM Libraries and Dining Services. Be sure to bring a copy of your resume and your class schedule.

Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...