President Shalala: ‘I’ll be here for a long time’

Despite calls for her ouster amid recent allegations against the university’s athletic department, President Donna E. Shalala told The Miami Hurricane on Thursday that she plans to remain at the helm of University of Miami “for a long time.”

Although she said the details of her contract were “private,” Shalala said she isn’t going anywhere.

“Officially I’m here and I’ll be here as long as you all here and as long as I feel healthy and energetic, and I can still make contributions,” she said. “So you should not be thinking there’s some end out there. I’ll be here for a long time.”

Shalala’s comments during an exclusive interview with UM student newspaper suggests that she is apparently going to remain on board for UM’s next capital fund drive. Although it is still in the silent period, Shalala said the campaign will be announced publicly in January.

“How much it will be, we haven’t set the amount with the trustees, but it will be over a billion dollars,” she said.

UM last capital campaign, which ended in 2008, raised more than $1.4 billion – making the school the first in Florida to surpass the billion-dollar mark.

To read the rest of the interview, look out for The Miami Hurricane’s first issue, which hits stands Monday, August 22.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...