Student Health Service provides medical care

For some freshmen, college not only welcomes new freedom and responsibilities, but also transitions students into adulthood. For those in query about where to seek help in case of  illness or injury, the staff of the Student Health Service is readily available to accommodate any needs.

The Student Health Service  provides primary care medical services and select specialty care including women’s health, orthopedics, lab x-rays and pharmacy services. The staff consists of board-certified physicians and nurse practitioners who are available to diagnose and treat minor injuries, provide care for many acute and chronic illnesses and offer appropriate referrals when required.

“The doctor was helpful and genuinely concerned about me. He followed up to see how I was feeling, which I greatly appreciated,” sophomore Kendyl Green said.

Before arriving, all new students are required to provide proof of immunization against measles, mumps and rubella and must also provide proof of immunization against hepatitis B and meningococcal meningitis, or sign a waiver declining hepatitis B and meningitis immunization. All international students must also be screened for risk of tuberculosis by completing a lengthier version of the Immunization Form.

Nursing students are required to obtain additional immunizations and tuberculosis screening as described on the nursing immunization form.

“For some students, it is their first time seeing doctors without their parents,” said nurse practitioner Gisele Stark. “[To make students more comfortable] we have a good team of providers, we give counseling and we try to explain things the best we can so students know what’s going on and what precautions to take.”

While attending the University of Miami, students are required to have health insurance. Domestic students with alternative health insurance coverage may request cancellation of the annual fee by completing a waiver request via myUM under the “Life at UM” link.

“With school insurance almost everything here is covered completely,” said Stark. The cost of prescription medicine is also often lower at the Student Heath Service pharmacy than in other locations with school insurance.

The Student Health Service pharmacy is located on the second floor of the Health Center. It accepts many insurance plans and can fill most prescriptions written by out of town and other off campus providers.

Students can drop off their prescriptions and come back after class to pick up their medication or stay and wait if they choose.

The online portal also allows students to make online appointments, complete forms prior to appointments and print immunization records to submit to other institutions.

The Student Health Service is located at the Student Health Center across from the Pavia Garage and in front of the Lowe Art Museum. It is open Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays 8:30 to 5 p.m., Thursdays 9 to 5 p.m. and on Sundays from Noon to 4 p.m.

After hours assistance is available by calling 305-284-9100. Important deadlines and additional information are available at miami.edu/student-health.

June 22, 2011

Kattie Maldonado

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...