Student Health Service provides medical care

For some freshmen, college not only welcomes new freedom and responsibilities, but also transitions students into adulthood. For those in query about where to seek help in case of  illness or injury, the staff of the Student Health Service is readily available to accommodate any needs.

The Student Health Service  provides primary care medical services and select specialty care including women’s health, orthopedics, lab x-rays and pharmacy services. The staff consists of board-certified physicians and nurse practitioners who are available to diagnose and treat minor injuries, provide care for many acute and chronic illnesses and offer appropriate referrals when required.

“The doctor was helpful and genuinely concerned about me. He followed up to see how I was feeling, which I greatly appreciated,” sophomore Kendyl Green said.

Before arriving, all new students are required to provide proof of immunization against measles, mumps and rubella and must also provide proof of immunization against hepatitis B and meningococcal meningitis, or sign a waiver declining hepatitis B and meningitis immunization. All international students must also be screened for risk of tuberculosis by completing a lengthier version of the Immunization Form.

Nursing students are required to obtain additional immunizations and tuberculosis screening as described on the nursing immunization form.

“For some students, it is their first time seeing doctors without their parents,” said nurse practitioner Gisele Stark. “[To make students more comfortable] we have a good team of providers, we give counseling and we try to explain things the best we can so students know what’s going on and what precautions to take.”

While attending the University of Miami, students are required to have health insurance. Domestic students with alternative health insurance coverage may request cancellation of the annual fee by completing a waiver request via myUM under the “Life at UM” link.

“With school insurance almost everything here is covered completely,” said Stark. The cost of prescription medicine is also often lower at the Student Heath Service pharmacy than in other locations with school insurance.

The Student Health Service pharmacy is located on the second floor of the Health Center. It accepts many insurance plans and can fill most prescriptions written by out of town and other off campus providers.

Students can drop off their prescriptions and come back after class to pick up their medication or stay and wait if they choose.

The online portal also allows students to make online appointments, complete forms prior to appointments and print immunization records to submit to other institutions.

The Student Health Service is located at the Student Health Center across from the Pavia Garage and in front of the Lowe Art Museum. It is open Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays 8:30 to 5 p.m., Thursdays 9 to 5 p.m. and on Sundays from Noon to 4 p.m.

After hours assistance is available by calling 305-284-9100. Important deadlines and additional information are available at miami.edu/student-health.

June 22, 2011

Kattie Maldonado

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...