School of Communication promotes media in Haiti

One effective way to help Haiti may be by just sitting down and having a conversation.

School of Communication community members have discussed the role media need to play in Haiti’s future in a January conference co-hosted by the Voice of America, an international news service that has been working in Haiti.

“We’ve talked about the needs that have been present since the earthquake, but we haven’t really had a strong conversation about what it’s going to be like to rebuild,” said Ivette Yee, communications manager for the School of Communication.

At the conference, journalism professors Yves Colon, Sallie Hughes and Tsitsi Wakhisi presented the research they have accumulated over the past two years on the use of Haitian media in Haiti and in Miami. According to Colon, journalists need to take a more proactive stance in implementing change.

“Haitian media need to educate, not just show the country’s frailties, but focus on development,” he said.

Aside from discussing media in Haiti, the conference featured the U.S. ambassador to Haiti and the Haitian ambassador to the U.S. Discussions and included topics such as reconstruction, politics and the media.

The school’s Koze Ayiti covered the conference for the group’s multimedia website.

Koze Ayiti, which stands for “Conversation Haiti” in Creole, is a community-building organization that connects Haitians with Haitian-Americans in Miami and focuses on allowing Haitians to create an educated society by giving them the opportunity to make their own news.

“The most important thing is to allow Haitians to tell stories in their own voices,” said Tod Landess, the staff adviser and project manager for Koze Ayiti.

June 22, 2011

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...