New student center to have green features

Starting late summer or early fall, the first stages of construction on the new Student Activities Center will begin at the location of the Rathskeller.

Construction of the complex will require green building procedures for certification by the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program. The center will be evaluated by LEED standards after completion and will be determined by the building’s green features, which should improve performance and energy efficiency.

Depending on the finalized design of the Student Activities Center, the building could receive a certified, silver, gold or platinum certification. Both University Center Director Dan Westbrook and Gary Tarb, the building’s project manager, hope to receive a gold or silver rating.

“Each of the levels shows an increasing commitment to energy conservation,” Westbrook said. “We are almost certain it will make silver; the architects have worked with LEED certified buildings across the country [and]have gone over the requirements to achieve that level point by point.”

In order to attain these LEED certification levels, points are gained for how the building is constructed as well as how it will ultimately run.

The design, which was originally developed in 2001, can gain points if the final product features qualities ranging from shady landscaping to low-efficiency glass that does not transmit radiant heat and keeps the interior cool. Other ways the new Student Activities Center may reach a higher LEED certification level is by reusing the waste material from the Rat’s demolition and use it to build the footings and foundation of the new center or in the realignment of the lake.

The building can also optimize its certification with points given because a locker room exists a certain distance from the building which allows bicyclists to shower before class or work.

“We need to look at our future where energy is more scarce and rethink the decisions about where we live and work,” said David Letson, the chair of RSMAS’s Department of Marine Affairs and Policy. “Talk is cheap in the classroom, but when you get a chance to think carefully about a major building like this, it’s nice to see.”

June 22, 2011

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...