New product line made in safe work setting

For the past year, the University of Miami, in conjunction with Follett Higher Education Group, has been selling a new product line that adheres to fair labor practices. Knights Apparel, the leading producer of collegiate apparel sold in campus bookstores, has brought its Alta Gracia clothing brand to hundreds of college campuses, including UM. This is the first apparel brand in the world that is compensating its workers with a “living wage.”

Enabling workers to make three times the average pay and join unions without a fight, the Alta Gracia factory is a pioneer in fair trade garment production. Located in an impoverished town in the Dominican Republic, the facility holds 120 employees and pays them the calculated cost for food, shelter, housing, healthcare and education. The factory allows workers to join a union, exercise their workers’ rights and work in a healthy and safe environment.

“What makes Alta Gracia not another apparel brand is that it can be life changing not only for the individual, but for the families,” said Joe Bozich, CEO of Knights Apparel. “We can help create the opportunity to change the situation of these workers, which we believe is very rewarding.”

Workers at the factory are equally excited about Alta Gracia, a name that has changed their lives.

“The wage gives us a place to feel at home and a decent salary,” said Martiza Vargas, a worker at the factory. “In other factories, Dominican laws and international conventions are overlooked. At Villa Alta Gracia, we’re spread out, have better ventilation and, more importantly, they treat us with a lot of respect.”

The factory is heavily monitored by the Worker Rights Consortium, a labor rights watchdog with which over 175 U.S. universities are affiliated with. This organization publishes an evaluation of facilities like Alta Gracia to assure they meet fair labor requirements. In addition, the Alta Gracia T-shirts, sweatpants and hoodies will carry a tag attesting to the factory meeting Worker Rights Consortium’s requirements for responsible labor practices.

“The compliance of standards at Alta Gracia is exemplary,” said Theresa Haas, director of communications at the WRC.

Visit them on the web at altagraciaapparel.com.

June 22, 2011

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...