New class to teach business students about non-profit

More than 30 Miami-area community organizations benefitted from the work of freshmen last fall as partners in the School of Business Administration’s FIRST Step program.  FIRST Step, an acronym for Freshman Integrity, Responsibility and Success through Teamwork, is a mandatory first semester course that connects business students with non-profit organizations to assist them with meeting the real-world business and other challenges they face.

Vice Dean Linda Neider introduced the course four years ago to provide freshmen with the opportunity to learn about civic engagement, business practices and ethics. Students learn essential business critical thinking skills through real-world case studies, lectures, and multimedia presentations.

“A pivotal aspect of the course requires that freshmen cultivate the interpersonal skills needed for teamwork in the business world.”

The course involves lectures on Mondays and Wednesdays and a separate section on Fridays in which the freshmen, divided into groups of eight to 10, meet with a student teaching assistant to work on the their project.

Nadja Koch, an alumna who served as a Teaching Assistant and Peer Counselor in the course, described the group project experience of the course as invaluable, both for her and for the freshmen.

“The course introduces freshmen to a higher level of business class coursework than they normally would have gotten early on,” Koch said. “As a TA, I learned how to guide others and emphasize the shared experience of getting along.”

One of the organizations participating in fall 2010 was the South Florida American Cancer Society, which partnered with student teams on several projects. One group of students was charged with creating a marketing strategy for the organization’s upcoming Relay for Life event.

“ACS is a volunteer organization so we cannot do the work that we do without support like this and the work that you all have done,” said Sean Kramer, executive director of the American Cancer Society for Miami-Dade and Monroe counties, during the final student presentation.

June 22, 2011

Dana Hatic

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D in Durham, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Adria Soriano Barrera begins competition in the singles draw Monday at 5 p.m. with a contest against ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...