New class to teach business students about non-profit

More than 30 Miami-area community organizations benefitted from the work of freshmen last fall as partners in the School of Business Administration’s FIRST Step program.  FIRST Step, an acronym for Freshman Integrity, Responsibility and Success through Teamwork, is a mandatory first semester course that connects business students with non-profit organizations to assist them with meeting the real-world business and other challenges they face.

Vice Dean Linda Neider introduced the course four years ago to provide freshmen with the opportunity to learn about civic engagement, business practices and ethics. Students learn essential business critical thinking skills through real-world case studies, lectures, and multimedia presentations.

“A pivotal aspect of the course requires that freshmen cultivate the interpersonal skills needed for teamwork in the business world.”

The course involves lectures on Mondays and Wednesdays and a separate section on Fridays in which the freshmen, divided into groups of eight to 10, meet with a student teaching assistant to work on the their project.

Nadja Koch, an alumna who served as a Teaching Assistant and Peer Counselor in the course, described the group project experience of the course as invaluable, both for her and for the freshmen.

“The course introduces freshmen to a higher level of business class coursework than they normally would have gotten early on,” Koch said. “As a TA, I learned how to guide others and emphasize the shared experience of getting along.”

One of the organizations participating in fall 2010 was the South Florida American Cancer Society, which partnered with student teams on several projects. One group of students was charged with creating a marketing strategy for the organization’s upcoming Relay for Life event.

“ACS is a volunteer organization so we cannot do the work that we do without support like this and the work that you all have done,” said Sean Kramer, executive director of the American Cancer Society for Miami-Dade and Monroe counties, during the final student presentation.

June 22, 2011

Dana Hatic

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...