Locally grown foods now available on campus

Students looking for a place to buy healthier, locally grown vegetables and fruits will not have to search any longer.

The wait is over. A farmer’s market now comes to campus each Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the university green between the post office and Starbucks.

Christina Farmer, former Student Government president, first mentioned this initiative during her campaign. She said that ever since sophomore year she has been wanting a farmer’s market on campus.

“People like a lot of fruit, especially living on a health-conscious campus, but they don’t always know where they can find it locally,” Farmer said.

There are usually around 15 local vendors providing fresh produce, honey and kettle corns.

“It can be difficult to get a large variety of fruits and vegetables,” Farmer said. “However, we are ensuring that if it’s not locally grown, it’s at least organic.”

Sheri Virok, the benefits manager for UM’s human resources and benefits office, said she has been excited to be a part of the planning process on bring the new farmer’s market to campus.

“I’ve been working on this project for over a year, and it kind of got stalled up, but once Student Government started making things happen, they contacted me because I had already gone through some of the administration logistics of getting it approved,” Virok said.

She believes this a great way to increase awareness for a healthier lifestyle. Virok also explained the farmer’s market is a part of Well Canes, a program that grew through the H.R. and benefits office to promote health and wellness in the faculty and staff of UM.

Well Canes offers health incentive programs for faculty and staff that include health insurance benefits and rebates on a Wellness Center membership and use.

The market will not only include fresh produce, but also plant life, orchids and even soap.

“It’s really aimed for both faculty and students,” Farmer said. “That’s why even though we [students] might not need the soaps or things like that, they will be available. We want to include everyone on campus.”

Some students are excited about the new market coming to campus.

“I think it’s a really good idea to bring healthy things to the students on campus versus the farmer’s market in the grove which some students can’t get to because of transportation,” junior Alexandra Goldklang said. “I mean, it beats Whole Foods.”

June 22, 2011

Jenny Hamilton

Contributing Columnist

Two Commencement ceremonies will take place at the Watsco Center on the Coral Gables campus on Thurs ...

The investiture of the School of Law Dean Anthony E. Varona as the M. Minnette Massey Chair took pla ...

The University of Miami Frost School of Music's annual holiday event raises funds for the Donna ...

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine students hung 3,000 posters in Wynwood last weekend to ...

Life on Great Abaco Island in the Bahamas is striving to get back to normal, but the scars of Hurric ...

With an Olympic year on the horizon, former Canes star Lauryn Williams reflects on an incredible car ...

The Miami women's basketball staff just got stronger with the addition of former Hurricane stan ...

The University of Miami football program announced Sunday that it has accepted a bid to the 2019 Wal ...

Spots are filling up fast for the upcoming Gino DiMare Exposure Camp on January 18-19, 2020. ...

Greg Rousseau was one of Miami's breakout players this year and will be honored Friday night in ...