Get whisked away by the latest local taste

Some say bigger is better, and in the case of Whisk Gourmet Food & Catering this rings true. The lucky ones who experienced their tiny location on Le Jeune are thrilled the owners made the move to a bigger space near Sunset. Once only a place to grab lunch or an early dinner on weekdays, Whisk now features expanded hours and is even serving up food on Saturdays. With these new changes, my roommate said, “We’re going to get so fat this semester!”

In a place where Arnold Palmers come in glass mason jars you can expect classic dishes done with culinary expertise. They offer daily specials that can be viewed online along with a more than satisfying standard menu that offers an array of appetizers, salads, sandwiches and entrees. Specialties include fried green tomatoes, pork lechon burritos and buttermilk-fried chicken atop organic spinach salad.

Frequenting Whisk, it’s hard to not be tempted to order the same dish every time. For me, the roasted turkey sandwich on grilled multigrain bread is hard to resist. Featuring fresh turkey stacked with Brie cheese, cranberry mayonnaise, vine ripened tomato and arugula, this is not the same turkey sandwich your mom used to make. On the side, you can order up their housemade potato chips dusted with parmesan and cracked black pepper. After sampling just a few of these, I knew I could never go back to crinkle-cut Lay’s again.

Other winners are the bacon-wrapped gorgonzola stuffed medjool dates, crispy chicken wings and savory skirt steak. Every Friday they have a burger special that is almost certain to sell-out by mid-afternoon. But never fear, you can call ahead in the morning to reserve one and trust me, it’s worth it.

If you’re not too full after all that, chef Brendan’s “famous” key lime pie is almost impossible to pass up. In a city where so many claim to have the “best pie in town,” Whisk might actually take home the prize. If key lime does not tickle your taste buds, they also have an array of freshly baked cookies, blondies and Misha’s cupcakes.

Even though they now boast more seating, you can still expect a wait at this location any time of day. We were lucky enough to be seated at a high-top table that let us peek into the kitchen and watch the busy chefs at work. I tried not to drool all over the table while awaiting my meal but sometimes, it is just unavoidable.

Whisk Gourmet Food and Catering

Monday-Thursday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Friday-Saturday 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Sunday Closed

786-268-8350

7382 SW 56th Avenue

South Miami, FL 33143

June 17, 2011

Cassie Glenn

Contributing EDGE Writer

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...