Top four tips to get your wizarding fix

ORLANDO, Fla. – In “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1,” which was released this past weekend, fans find Harry, Ron and Hermione away from Hogwarts grounds. Luckily for Muggles, you can still get your fix of the School for Witchcraft and Wizardry as well as the neighboring village of Hogsmeade. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, a 20-acre park inside Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando Resort, opened this summer.

Here are four musts for any Potterphile in need of a magical fix.

1) Walk through Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (Average wait: One hour)

The most popular attraction within Wizarding World is Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. But better than the actual ride might be the line, which weaves its way through iconic locations from both the books and movies.
Visitors make their way through the Herbology greenhouses and Albus Dumbledore’s office. At the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, Harry, Ron and Hermione explain how Floo Powder will allow Muggles (non-magical  people) to join them on an adventure. Talking portraits line the walls and provide entertaining banter.

2) Drink a glass of butterbeer (Average wait: 10-15 minutes)

Though the recipe has yet to be released, consumers have described butterbeer as tasting like a mixture of cream soda, caramel and butterscotch. Two types are sold in 16-ounce cups: frozen ($3.99) and liquid ($2.99). Souvenir cups hike the price up to $9.99. They can be purchased at the Three Broomsticks or at the butterbeer cart located outside the restaurant. A word of caution: One drink is enough. Think of it as dessert in liquid form that helps ease the Florida heat and humidity.

3) Buy a wand (Price: $29.99)

A wandkeeper helps an up-and-coming witch or wizard find a wand with the help of special effects, much like the scene in “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.” The line at Ollivanders wand shop to take part in the interactive experience can take about two hours because only eight people are allowed in at a time. Only one person is chosen to have a wand select them.
For those who don’t have the patience to wait in line, the back section of Dervish and Banges, a store connected to the Owlery, sells various wands. Buyers can choose between character wands- Hermione’s is the most popular- or one that corresponds to their birthday.

4) Send an owl (Price for postcard: $2.99; price for stamps: $9.99)

If a friend couldn’t make the three-hour plus drive to Orlando, you could always send an owl. In Dervish and Banges, Wizarding World of Harry Potter stamps and postcards are sold. After filling out a message and an address, it’s set to be delivered in a timely fashion to anyone, anywhere by owl post. Who could forget the joy Harry Potter felt when he found out he was a wizard?

5) Interact with the actors (Frog choir performances: five times a day; Hogwarts Express conductor: times vary; Triwizard Spirit Rally: times vary)

In the other areas of Islands of Adventure, there isn’t as much attention to detail. At Wizarding World, however, “students” wear their Hogwarts robes despite the Florida heat. They also speak in British accents. Ask them about a football game or how to use a modern device such as a camera and they’re clueless. And completely in character.

IF YOU GO

What: Wizarding World of Harry Potter inside Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando Resort

Hours of Operation: Times vary. Monday-Friday is generally 9 a.m.- 6 p.m., Saturday-Sunday 9 a.m.-7 p.m.

Cost: A non-Florida resident one-day, one-park pass is $82. A Florida resident one-day, one-park pass is $70.99. A Florida resident annual pass ranges between $139.99-$289.99.

Visit universalorlando.com for more information.

June 14, 2011

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...