Team makes a splash, brings talent to the diving board

The University of Miami swim team is looking forward to hitting the pool once again. Last year was filled with highs and lows, but there was one swimmer who shined above all.

Recent graduate Brittany Viola came out on top with a national championship on the 10-meter platform dive, the second such award of her career. She graduates as one of the more decorated swimmers in UM history.

Among her successes diving for the Hurricanes, Viola has qualified for the world championships. After competing there, she will look to represent the USA in the 2012 Olympics, looking to bring a gold medal not only to her school, but to her country.

“It was such a relieving feeling that everything I could have hoped my college career would end like, it happened,” said Viola of her championship.

With such an experienced veteran leader taking her talents outside UM, the team is looking for someone to take her place. Many of the girls are very optimistic that this upcoming season will be a season to remember.

They have added great talent and a new assistant head coach, in addition to great returning veterans. Junior swimmer Taylor Grenda believes new assistant coach Aaron Ciarla is a person who can turn around their program for the better.

“I think this year is going to be great. We get a fresh start with a new coach who has a great swimming background,” Grenda said. “A new coach can help change a lot within a team. Last year was a building year and I think this coach can take us to the next level.”

June 14, 2011

Michelle Salom

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...