Old street, new source for entertain

Despite what you may have heard, West Palm Beach is not just where your grandparents went to retire. In the past five years, downtown West Palm has become a youthful and vibrant place filled with some of the best bars, clubs and restaurants in South Florida.

Weekends are complete with boisterous crowds of 20-somethings celebrating, so next time you’re on I-95 make an extra stop in West Palm and hit Clematis Street off Exit 70. You won’t regret it.

Clematis Street is in the heart of Downtown. Home to the famous fountain that is built into the sidewalk and springs to life when children daringly run through its center, there are swinging benches and soaring white lights overhead.

Then there is the food. Walk to the end of Clematis Street and you will run into a hot pink building that is impossible to miss: Sloan’s Ice Cream Shop. Its walls are painted with baby angels and clouds, its counters are filled with stuffed animals, invisible ink and sparkling pens, and the ice cream and pastry collections available are just as colorful as the lime green chairs outside.

Once the sun has gone down and the old-fashioned streetlights have turned on, Clematis turns from a cute place to take a date into a giant party with the popular nightclub Off the Hookah in the middle of the buzz.

One word to describe Off the Hookah: exotic. The club, which is also open for lunch and dinner, is decorated with sphinxes, pyramids and Middle-Eastern artwork. The Japanese room has a sushi bar and overstuffed cushions for seating, while the VIP room is lined with curtained beds instead of couches.

It may not be Mansion or Pizza Rustica, the more typical south Florida hits, but downtown West Palm Beach holds its own. The bars, restaurants and shops have found a way to mix local charm with a trendy A-list style to create an atmosphere all on its own.

June 14, 2011

Rebecca Lattanzio

Contributing EDGE Writer

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...