Old street, new source for entertain

Despite what you may have heard, West Palm Beach is not just where your grandparents went to retire. In the past five years, downtown West Palm has become a youthful and vibrant place filled with some of the best bars, clubs and restaurants in South Florida.

Weekends are complete with boisterous crowds of 20-somethings celebrating, so next time you’re on I-95 make an extra stop in West Palm and hit Clematis Street off Exit 70. You won’t regret it.

Clematis Street is in the heart of Downtown. Home to the famous fountain that is built into the sidewalk and springs to life when children daringly run through its center, there are swinging benches and soaring white lights overhead.

Then there is the food. Walk to the end of Clematis Street and you will run into a hot pink building that is impossible to miss: Sloan’s Ice Cream Shop. Its walls are painted with baby angels and clouds, its counters are filled with stuffed animals, invisible ink and sparkling pens, and the ice cream and pastry collections available are just as colorful as the lime green chairs outside.

Once the sun has gone down and the old-fashioned streetlights have turned on, Clematis turns from a cute place to take a date into a giant party with the popular nightclub Off the Hookah in the middle of the buzz.

One word to describe Off the Hookah: exotic. The club, which is also open for lunch and dinner, is decorated with sphinxes, pyramids and Middle-Eastern artwork. The Japanese room has a sushi bar and overstuffed cushions for seating, while the VIP room is lined with curtained beds instead of couches.

It may not be Mansion or Pizza Rustica, the more typical south Florida hits, but downtown West Palm Beach holds its own. The bars, restaurants and shops have found a way to mix local charm with a trendy A-list style to create an atmosphere all on its own.

June 14, 2011

Rebecca Lattanzio

Contributing EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...