Conquer career fears

Conquer career fears with help from the Toppel Career Center.

The Toppel Career Center is a campus resource that aids student and alumni in developing career skills that will allow them to pursue a successful career in the industry of their choosing.

“We empower students to choose a major and we help connect students to employers and alumni in order to help them find internships and jobs,” said Christian Garcia, the director of Toppel. “Ultimately, we help students take control of their careers.”

For students facing the difficult choice of declaring a major, Toppel offers career aptitude tests, individual career advising, and programs on different industries and companies.

A staff of advisors is also available to provide students with guidance on a variety of topics, including major choice, career decisions, and job preparations.

Budding entrepreneurs can launch their own businesses through the Launch Pad, an on-campus entrepreneurship resource center.

Online, students can find Toppel on numerous social networking sites, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr and YouTube.

The Toppel Peers Blog, which is written and developed by students for students, features posts every week by different bloggers with a unique approach. Topics such as “Interview Fight Club” uses the seven rules of “Fight Club” to teach you better interview skills.

“It’s like an outreach for students. If they don’t come into Toppel, they can go online,” said Monica Page, one of Toppel’s peer bloggers.

Megan Garber, assistant director of career development and outreach, said that the blog is a great way to attract reluctant students.

“We wanted it to be more appealing to students, to give it more of a student perspective since we know that students have different learning styles, and this is just another way for students to get information from the career center,” Garber said.

The bloggers have found that working with Toppel has helped them to improve their own skills.

“The advisors help you one on one with your resume, they can help you pinpoint what you want to do,” Page said. “Working at Toppel has helped me zone in on what I want to do and how to go about achieving that goal.”

The Toppel Career Center has also been rated by students as one of the best career centers among similar private institutions in the country by the Universum’s Student Survey.

For more information, check us out online at HireACane.com or visit the Toppel Peers blog at toppelpeers.blogspot.com.

June 14, 2011

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...