Conquer career fears

Conquer career fears with help from the Toppel Career Center.

The Toppel Career Center is a campus resource that aids student and alumni in developing career skills that will allow them to pursue a successful career in the industry of their choosing.

“We empower students to choose a major and we help connect students to employers and alumni in order to help them find internships and jobs,” said Christian Garcia, the director of Toppel. “Ultimately, we help students take control of their careers.”

For students facing the difficult choice of declaring a major, Toppel offers career aptitude tests, individual career advising, and programs on different industries and companies.

A staff of advisors is also available to provide students with guidance on a variety of topics, including major choice, career decisions, and job preparations.

Budding entrepreneurs can launch their own businesses through the Launch Pad, an on-campus entrepreneurship resource center.

Online, students can find Toppel on numerous social networking sites, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr and YouTube.

The Toppel Peers Blog, which is written and developed by students for students, features posts every week by different bloggers with a unique approach. Topics such as “Interview Fight Club” uses the seven rules of “Fight Club” to teach you better interview skills.

“It’s like an outreach for students. If they don’t come into Toppel, they can go online,” said Monica Page, one of Toppel’s peer bloggers.

Megan Garber, assistant director of career development and outreach, said that the blog is a great way to attract reluctant students.

“We wanted it to be more appealing to students, to give it more of a student perspective since we know that students have different learning styles, and this is just another way for students to get information from the career center,” Garber said.

The bloggers have found that working with Toppel has helped them to improve their own skills.

“The advisors help you one on one with your resume, they can help you pinpoint what you want to do,” Page said. “Working at Toppel has helped me zone in on what I want to do and how to go about achieving that goal.”

The Toppel Career Center has also been rated by students as one of the best career centers among similar private institutions in the country by the Universum’s Student Survey.

For more information, check us out online at HireACane.com or visit the Toppel Peers blog at toppelpeers.blogspot.com.

June 14, 2011

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...