Alumni, senior start company

A new company named Chiral has fused photography, art and fashion. The company began thanks to the Launch Pad at the University of Miami.

Chiral was created by UM alumnus Jay Hirschfeld and senior Trevor Cowan, with some help from alumnus David Learner. The company designs bathing suits from Hirschfeld’s extremely high-resolution, detailed photographs of street art.

Key to the group’s success was the Launch Pad, a department of the Toppel Career Center. The Launch Pad was founded in 2008 to provide tools and guidance to students, faculty and alumni who want to start their own business ventures. Since its creation, the Launch Pad has helped more than 1,500 students develop nearly 50 new companies and create more than 100 new jobs.

The Launch Pad recently become the hub of the White House’s Startup America Partnership and will be duplicated in other schools in five economically distressed areas of the country.

“The expansion will strengthen the ability to link entrepreneurs to resources and help alumni and students create a vast network across the nation, which is the key to entrepreneurial success,” said Susan Amat, executive director of the Launch Pad.

The Launch Pad pairs students with venture coaches who aid the entrepreneurs in launching their businesses. For example, the associate director of the Launch Pad, William Silverman, worked with Chiral during its early stages.

“Their strength is in their technology and in their artwork,” Silverman told the PBS’s “Nightly Business Report” about the new apparel and design company, which was featured on a segment of the show.

Chiral took home the $10,000 grand prize at the UM School of Business’ 2011 Business Plan Competition.

“The biggest part of winning was not even the monetary prize, but the validation that everything we’ve been working so hard to achieve has been worth it,” Hirschfeld said.

Chiral is now working again with the Launch Pad to create a viral buzz around the developing business. This will include building a website, lining up meetings and plans to exhibit their pieces at the 2012 Swim Show in Miami.

“The immediate dream is to get this as many places as we possibly can,” Hirschfeld said to Nightly Business Report. “Ultimately, we want to be a brand that touches every corner, every sort of product that works with a variety of different artists and designers.”

June 14, 2011

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...