German star sets goals

She was the No. 8 collegiate tennis player in the nation. She was part of the 11th-ranked doubles tandem and a tennis program ranked in the top five. She has 133 career singles wins, passing the UM record set by former teammate Laura Vallverdu.

But if you saw Bianca Eickhorn strolling through the University of Miami campus, you’d think she’s just your average senior trying to live the college life while finishing her final academic semester strong.

“On the tennis court, Bianca is always very focused, very robotic,” said her doubles teammate Anna Bartenstein. “But away from the tennis court she can be more relaxed. She’s really funny.”

Eickhorn hails from Tengen, Germany, and speaks four different languages — English, German, French and Italian. She is majoring in international finance and marketing, and says that her career aspirations are in business, not tennis.

“I knew I didn’t want to be a professional tennis player,” Eickhorn said. “But I still love tennis that much that I wanted to see how far I can get… and study at the same time.”

She came to Miami primarily for her education and secondly to continue playing the sport she fell in love with back home. Not far down on her list is the time spent basking in the sun on South Florida’s sandy beaches.

But her time in Miami has not all been fun in the sun.

Eickhorn has dealt with a great deal of homesickness over the years. Even when she first came to the states as a freshman in 2007, she says it took her some time to assimilate to the culture, the various people and even the food.

“I came from a village of 2,000 people in Germany where whenever I went out for a walk I always had someone I could talk to or someone I knew,” Eickhorn said. “Then I come here for the first time and it’s like it’s all new people around me.”

On the tennis court, her other home, it didn’t take Eickhorn long to get comfortable and accommodated with her surroundings.

Being one of the few upperclassmen on the young women’s team, she accepted a leadership role on the squad.

“Bianca is the leader of the team,” Bartenstein said. “She’s the only senior and sets a good example.”

She finished her career 37-3 in singles play against ACC opponents, including going 11-0 in her senior year.

What makes her so great on the tennis court?

“It’s definitely the discipline, hard work and just the desire to be out there every single day,” Eickhorn said. “Whenever I step in between these lines, there isn’t anything I give these opponents.”

Over her career, she also won 108 doubles matches.

“We know each other really well. We are good friends,”  Bartenstein said. “We rely on each other on the tennis court and we have each other’s back.”

To sum up the last four years, Eickhorn said, “It was a great experience that made me experience my highest highs and my lowest lows.”

June 13, 2011

David Furones

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...