Studio jump-starts student musicians

Junior Abi Loutoo, studying media writing and production, plays cello with singer-songwriter Eddy Bayes April 7, 2011 at Transit Lounge. Courtesy 'Cane Records.

Many college students follow seemingly impossible dreams. They want to become a successful, signed recording artist, a big-name player in the entertainment industry or a millionaire even before graduation.

The bad news? Luck, inheritance and crazy coincidences aside, you will most likely not be a millionaire within the next four years. The good news is UM can help with the first two goals.

Since 1993, UM has had a student-run record label through the Frost School of Music. In the past 19 years, ‘Cane Records has released more than 17 albums, collaborated with countless artists, produced many shows, and raised a significant amount of money through sponsors. In recent years, the label revamped its look and website, and began giving its staff academic credit for positions.

The label has six up-and-coming artists currently signed, some from UM and others from the local area, from a variety of genres.

‘Cane Records is a multi-faceted approach for students to achieve their dreams. As an agent in the industry, you learn the business side of music, from recording and producing to running a label. As an artist, you are featured in stories, record music, and play shows around Miami.

The label is a hidden gem at UM. Not many people know about it or the benefits it provides to both sides of the music industry. Staff members of the label can take part in the production of audio and visual footage. They also help manage the developing artist’s online portfolio. As an artist managed by the label, benefits include receiving valuable studio time, as well as having professionals work alongside the musicians to get their names out there.

If you are a student interested in the music industry, kickstart your experience by taking part in this label. Not only will you get a leg up on the competition, you’ll also hear some really great music before anyone else does.

June 12, 2011

Natasha Tomchin

Staff EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...