Studio jump-starts student musicians

Junior Abi Loutoo, studying media writing and production, plays cello with singer-songwriter Eddy Bayes April 7, 2011 at Transit Lounge. Courtesy 'Cane Records.

Many college students follow seemingly impossible dreams. They want to become a successful, signed recording artist, a big-name player in the entertainment industry or a millionaire even before graduation.

The bad news? Luck, inheritance and crazy coincidences aside, you will most likely not be a millionaire within the next four years. The good news is UM can help with the first two goals.

Since 1993, UM has had a student-run record label through the Frost School of Music. In the past 19 years, ‘Cane Records has released more than 17 albums, collaborated with countless artists, produced many shows, and raised a significant amount of money through sponsors. In recent years, the label revamped its look and website, and began giving its staff academic credit for positions.

The label has six up-and-coming artists currently signed, some from UM and others from the local area, from a variety of genres.

‘Cane Records is a multi-faceted approach for students to achieve their dreams. As an agent in the industry, you learn the business side of music, from recording and producing to running a label. As an artist, you are featured in stories, record music, and play shows around Miami.

The label is a hidden gem at UM. Not many people know about it or the benefits it provides to both sides of the music industry. Staff members of the label can take part in the production of audio and visual footage. They also help manage the developing artist’s online portfolio. As an artist managed by the label, benefits include receiving valuable studio time, as well as having professionals work alongside the musicians to get their names out there.

If you are a student interested in the music industry, kickstart your experience by taking part in this label. Not only will you get a leg up on the competition, you’ll also hear some really great music before anyone else does.

June 12, 2011

Natasha Tomchin

Staff EDGE Writer

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...