Dean to start work in July

Courtesy e-Veritas

On May 11, university administration announced that they had selected a new dean of the School of Communication.

Starting July 1, Gregory J. Shepherd, currently the dean at the Scripps College of Communication at Ohio University, will be replacing the current SoC Dean Sam L Grogg, who is leaving after his six year tenure.

Grogg will be moving to Adelphi University in New York and will serve as the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

“I am thrilled to be joining the University of Miami,” Shepherd said. “The School of Communication has the potential to be one of the very best schools of communication in the country.”

Shepherd received a bachelor’s degree in speech communication from the University of Minnesota, a master’s degree in speech communication from Pennsylvania State University and has a doctorate in speech communication from the University of Illinois.

Prior to joining Ohio University, he worked as an assistant professor at the University of Iowa and as an assistant professor and director at the University of Kansas.

During his 10 years at Ohio University, Shepherd secured a $15-million naming gift from the Scripps Howard Foundation in 2006, a $7.5-million lead gift from an alumnus to build a new facility for the college and more than $1 million in scholarship donations.

Shepherd was attracted to UM and the SoC by its dedicated staff as well as Shalala’s motivation.

“My vision is to make it the best School of Communication,” Shepherd said.

In addition to taking advantage of the many programs the SoC currently offers, Shepherd plans to help students with the rapidly rising tuition rates.

“The key is to have alumni support,” Shepherd said. “This includes harvesting their support in scholarships, internships and especially paid internships.”

Shepherd will be moving down with his wife and two dogs. When not in the office or working on school projects, Shepherd likes to read, travel and play golf.

“Being in South Florida, it will be very tempting to play golf,” Shepherd said. “My wife and I were amazed by the beauty and elegancy of Coral Gables.”

For now, he has only one message for his students next year:

“I can’t wait to meet you all,” Shepherd said.

June 12, 2011

Cristian Benavides

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...