Programming board brings on-campus entertainment

Wiz Khalifa, comedians, Neon Trees, an end-of-year carnival, Ms. Lauryn Hill, live music during lunch on Thursdays, the Beelzebubs (the voices behind “Glee’s” Dalton Academy Warblers), free movies and plays, Matisyahu.

The University of Miami had the pleasure of having all of the above-mentioned grace its campus last year. And all of this was a product of UM’s very own Hurricane Productions (HP), “your source for campus entertainment.”

HP, the largest student-run organization at UM, is the campus programming board that provides free entertainment and activities for students.

“Hurricane Productions gives students the opportunity to produce events that make our UM campus lively, social and entertaining,” said Shannon Bartlett, chair of HP.

With seven committees, HP hosts an array of events, including indoor and outdoor movies, live musical performances, theater productions, free giveaways, among others. HP strives to become the best student-run entertainment and events production organization in the nation.

“Studying at one of the most tourist-attracting cities in the world, students should be able to boast about UM not only for academics, but also for the unique and energetic campus life it has to offer,” said Allison Novack, HP vice chair for campus relations.

But HP offers much more than just something fun to do during the week and weekends. Becoming involved with HP also gives students the opportunity to enhance their academic achievements in the classroom with life experience in many areas including promotion, management and production, business and social networking. Students in HP often work with musical artists, speakers and more.

“HP is something that transcends your year, your nationality – it’s something that can reach anyone on campus and I wanted to be a part of that,” said sophomore Chris Pinto, who just recently became involved in HP and will be next year’s marketing chair of Canes Night Live, an HP committee. “I want to listen to students and make that a reality.”

HP will host many events during orientation and will have a booth set up at CaneFest for students who are interested in becoming involved.

Visit www.hurricaneproductions.org or follow @HPmiami for more information and for upcoming events.

June 9, 2011

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...