New dean brings experience, goals from Michigan

On August 1, Eugene “Gene” Anderson will replace both Barbara Kahn, previous dean, and Frances Aldrich Sevilla-Sacasa, interim dean, as the new dean of the School of Business Administration.

“I’m hoping I have enough swagger to keep up with you all down there,” said Anderson, who proudly purchased an orange tie for the job. “It’s a great place with terrific students and I’m very excited about taking it [the position] on,” he said.

Anderson, who said he was impressed largely by the university’s “vision, progress, and potential,” was attracted to the position after a 20-year tenure at the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business.

Anderson completed a bachelor’s and master’s degree in business administration at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and earned a doctorate degree in business from the University of Chicago.

At the University of Michigan, Anderson served as a professor of marketing and later as senior associate dean for academic affairs. He was also involved in the establishment of an MBA program for which he served as the first academic director. Anderson was an active participant in the creation of several joint degree programs, one of which allows MBA students to create their own track for a dual degree.

According to Thomas LeBlanc, UM’s executive vice president and provost, Anderson’s administrative experience with collaborative degree programs is one of his many major assets.

“Gene Anderson is a first-rate scholar of marketing, as well as an experienced administrator,” LeBlanc said.

LeBlanc believes that Anderson’s experience, willingness to collaborate with others, and understanding of UM’s academic goal of collaborative disciplinary programs will allow Anderson to “hit the ground running right away.”

“I hope to help students find the learning opportunities they are looking for to achieve full time employment,” Anderson said.

Still, Anderson admits that it is unwise to make changes right away “especially as the new man on campus.” He would like to meet more students and fully understand the campus before presenting any new ideas.

LeBlanc is assured that Anderson will improve the School of Business Administration for its students and suggests that students “welcome him warmly and with enthusiasm.”

June 8, 2011

Chloe Herring

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...