Supervisors keep sports together, running

Ten leagues, 18 special events and hundreds of participants. How does it all come together? The Herbert Wellness Center’s intramurals department has the answer.

Tom Soria, assistant director of intramurals and special events, heads a board of student supervisors who make UM intramurals happen. The IM student supervisors are current UM students who all share a passion for sports.

“Being a student supervisor is a way for those interested in sports to make money, hold a leadership position and have a lot of fun,” junior Dave Painter said.

Supervisors are trained as referees and also certified in CPR and first aid. Preparation includes studying a handbook followed by constant reinforcement by administrators like Soria.

“To become a supervisor, a student must work as an IM referee for at least three sports, apply and interview with the current board of supervisors,” junior student supervisor Cameron Duckett said.

When asked if they find it difficult to remain unbiased as referees, student supervisors joked that they are actually harder on their friends’ teams. Senior Craig Shervin stressed the importance of “separating yourself” and “keeping your job separate” from your personal life.

“People don’t realize that this position deals with conflict resolution a heck of a lot more than others,” Soria said. “In the heat of the moment, players will automatically react and [the supervisors] need to be able to de-escalate the situation.”

Supervisors must be prepared for anything from injuries to contested rulings. Soria described his team as “laid-back, but when it’s time for business, they really step up to the plate and accept responsibility.”

The IM supervisors are committed to providing a fun, competitive atmosphere to continue the success of the intramural sports program.

For more information, visit miami.edu/wellness/intramurals.

June 5, 2011

Kristen Spillane

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...