Golden brings back the buzz about the U

The way in which 2010 ended for the Hurricanes football team was one that many in South Florida are hoping to forget.

The Hyundai Sun Bowl was hyped up as a rivalry renewed, a matchup between Miami and Notre Dame that was supposed to show improvement by the Canes and give the team momentum heading into 2011. Instead, it was an old school beating, with the Irish taking a 33-17 victory that wasn’t even that close.

It was fitting that the game took place on Dec. 31, as one year and era ended and a new one began.

With the end of the Sun Bowl came the beginning of head coach Al Golden’s reign at the helm of the University of Miami football program. Since Golden took over, there has been quite a buzz around the team, one that wasn’t seen too often under former coach Randy Shannon.

Over the past four years, both fans and media were quick to mention just how reserved the program was. Press statements seemed too rehearsed, interviews hardly answered questions and interaction between the team and the fans was at a low point. It eventually reached a point where Shannon even banned his players from having a Twitter account.

Now, not only are some players back on Twitter, but Golden and his coaching staff have embraced the media platform as well, posting updates on coaching changes and interacting with their followers.

Listening to the coach speak, you can hear in his voice that he believes in what he is selling, that UM will be a nationally relevant powerhouse once more. Even those individuals who interacted with Golden back at Temple University would agree.

“Al Golden is a pretty media savvy guy; he handles himself well,” said Brian Dzenis of The Temple News, the weekly independent newspaper. “He is an intimidating guy, but he has this salesman vibe to him where he wants you to believe in him, his program.”

One major concern among Hurricanes supporters was that recruiting was going to take a major hit this year. With all the late coaching changes and insecurities going on at the last minute, it looked to be a rough point for the program. But so far Golden has rebounded from all those uncertainties and has put together a decent recruiting run.

Beyond reestablishing ties with local high schools and drawing recruits at the last minute, one aspect that should help Canes fans get excited is Golden’s commitment to establishing a new bridge with former football alumni. He aims to involve them with the team once more.

It’s too early to tell whether all of these changes will make a difference in the end. Right now, Canes fans can only hope.

June 5, 2011

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Extremely involved and passionate about UM, she served as a trustee for 21 years, beginning in 1997. ...

The University of Miami’s emergency management team is working to create a disaster resilient Univer ...

University of Miami Police and the Department of Parking and Transportation provide various services ...

The number of students applying for Study Abroad has increased dramatically, with Europe being the m ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...