Former runner keeps sprinting toward goals

As she awaits the gunshot, poised at the starting line, Lauryn Williams’ eyes reveal determination, her legs strength. Quick out of the blocks, she pulls away from most competitors, crossing the finish line three-tenths of a second behind first place in the 100-meter dash.

Her reward: a Silver Medal in the 2004 Olympics in Athens, the highlight in a career replete with honors for the 2004 University of Miami graduate who still trains at UM with an eye toward 2012 summer games.

Her mantra on the track: “Hear the gun and run.”

Off the track: helping others.

Measuring 5 feet 3 inches, Williams is more than just one of the fastest women in the world. She remains active in charitable work, raising money for USATF’s (United States of America Track and Field) “Be a Champion” scheme. She also helps needy youth and mentors student-athletes whenever she has free time.

“I just feel like if someone hadn’t seen my potential and reached out to me I might not be where I am today,” Williams said. “So I have to do what I can to have that same impact on other children’s lives.”

Her gentle nature likely took root in her tender upbringing, growing up in suburban Pittsburgh and Detroit with five sisters and two brothers. Yet track and field was in her genes from an early age..

Her real achievement came when she qualified for the 2004 Olympics, gaining the third fastest time with only the top three qualifying. Williams was “definitely nervous” going to the Olympics at age 20, but as she stepped to the mark nothing went through her mind except “hear the gun and run.” She crossed the line taking a Silver Medal home for the USA.

In the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, her fast times and competiveness placed her as a perfect candidate for last leg in the 400 relay. Her second Olympic experience, however, did not go as well as her first. After a battle across the line she ended up fourth in the 100 meters. And then came the relay. The painful run included a baton drop between Torri Edwards and Williams which sparked controversy and critique from every angle. The photos of a distraught Edwards, face buried in her hands, spread across nearly every newspaper. Williams describes the moment as an “unfortunate circumstance,” refusing to cast blame.

Yet in true Williams’ fashion she kept going- picking up the baton and finishing the race, knowing the consequence of disqualification. She put her pride aside and ran to the end ignoring the disappointment felt from her country.

She demonstrates her mantra – “hard work know no limits’’ – by continuing to train for the 2012 Olympics in London with long time UM coach Amy Deem. She still carries her Hurricane pride with her, as she works and trains at the university six years after graduation. Deem and Williams have been working together for 10 years now.

“She knows my body best and truly has my best interests at heart. She wants to see me do well,” Williams said of her coach.

Not only has Williams always excelled at sports, she graduated with a finance degree in 2004, which coincidently fit her primary ambition in life: to be smart and earn money.

“Sport allowed me to do this,” she said, her eyes looking toward 2012.

June 5, 2011

Kathryn Forth

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...