Athletic trainers take the classroom to the sidelines

Student athletic trainers are available for University of Miami student-athletes at every practice and every game in order to  help rehabilitate any injuries that may occur.

These are students who go above and beyond the call of duty pursuing their career while they work toward a degree in kinesiology (formerly exercise sports science) in the School of Education.

“Each sport has its own dedicated professional athletic trainer and we work under their instruction helping in every aspect,” senior Nancy Melnyk said.

Undergraduates work  without wage to fulfill the required 1,000 clinical hours for their major. Students work 20-35 hour weeks, attend a variety of teams’ practices and tend to injuries, all of which must be done in addition to a full class schedule.

“During football season, practices start at 5 a.m. and we had to be there by 3:30 a.m. to set up before the players get there,” senior Karl Renalls said. “As a senior, the professional athletic trainers will rely on us a lot more because we’re about to enter the workforce.”

The program starts during the students’ junior years and they treat different sports every half semester.

“It really is very rewarding to have worked with an injured player through the rehabilitation process and see them get back on the field,” Renalls said.

According to the website the most common injuries across all sports are ankle sprains, knee injuries and concussions.

“A lot of people think athletic trainers are the same as personal trainers, but they’re not,” Melnyk said.

The athletic trainer has to be a jack of all trades when it comes to treating sports injuries. They prevent, take care of and rehabilitate injuries, whereas a personal trainer would regulate an exercise regimen and help clients reach their goals.

Athletic trainers practice under the direction of a physician and they are recognized by the American Medical Association as health professionals.

“We take care of the athletes on a more medical level than a personal trainer would,” Renalls said. “We need a degree and certification where a personal trainer can just take a few online classes.”

Athletic trainers are behind the scenes of every varsity athletic event. The athletes rely on them every day to help prevent injuries and get them back in the game.

The National Athletic Training Association celebrated National Athletic Training Month throughout March, according to its website, and reminds the public that “Not All Athletes Wear Jerseys: Athletic trainers treat the athlete in you.”

“I want to work in the NFL once I graduate,” Renalls said. “Over the summer, my roommate and I both got internships with different teams. I worked for the Washington Redskins and my roommate worked for the New England Patriots.”

June 5, 2011

Sandra Montalvo

Contributing Sports Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...