Race to raise awareness about ongoing suffering in Haiti

This Sunday, enjoy a walk for those who can’t.

Project Medishare will be hosting their first Run for Relief 5K this Sunday in Coconut Grove. All proceeds will go to Project Medishare for Haiti.

“We hope to raise awareness in the community that, even over a year later since the earthquake, the people of Haiti are still suffering and need our help,” said Kathy Falter, a Project Medishare rehabilitation administrator in an e-mail interview.

Project Medishare for Haiti Inc., was founded by Miller School of Medicine professors Dr. Barth Green and Dr. Arthur Fournier in 1994. They were among the first responders after the 2010 earthquake in Haiti and established the  first trauma and rehabilitation hospital in the country.

Sunday’s event will start and finish in Peacock Park on McFarlane Road. There will be an award ceremony and entertainment following the race.

For more information and to register visit runforrelief5k.org. visit, runforrelief5k.org.

Alysha Khan may be contacted at akhan@themiamihurricane.com.

May 13, 2011

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...