Students win NASCAR marketing competition

Justin Leiser cues fireworks at the Homestead-Miami Speedway during the NASCAR sprint cup series Ford 400. Lindsay Brown//News Editor

Five University of Miami students have pulled into victory lane.
After a semester of competition, seniors Justin Leiser, Alex Bryant, Ethan Alpern, Lucas Schutt and Matt Small have been announced the winners of the national-collegiate NASCAR Kinetics: Marketing in Motion competition.
“We went into the competition expecting to win; our hard work paid off,” Bryant said.
The competition consisted of two case studies and an official viewing party. Their case studies, for NASCAR sponsors Growth Energy and Nationwide Insurance, and their ‘M&M’s Makes Race Day Fun’ viewing party at Smoke’T received top marks.
For team president Leiser, his relationship with NASCAR did not begin with this competition. He fondly remembers his childhood love of the sport.
“[NASCAR has] been a part of my life as long as I can remember,” Leiser said. “It’s become a main source of father-son bonding.”
After internships with Homestead-Miami Speedway and the International Speedway Corporation’s corporate marketing team in Daytona, he has found himself on the inside of the sport he once admired from the outside.
“I’ve went from a fan of the sport to a student of the sport.” Leiser said.
For Leiser, who hopes to have a career in NASCAR,  winning this competition is just one more step toward his goal.
“For me it’s gonna help a lot, people will know about it,” Leiser said. “The trip is going to be awesome, it’s such an incredible award. So much great access.”
The checkered flag has won the team a five-day trip to Charlotte, North Carolina for the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race May 21. In Charlotte, the students will also have dinner with NASCAR and other sports marketing executives, as well as go on behind-the-scenes tours of NASCAR pits and garages.
“It’s basically like winning one of those fan sweepstakes,” Bryant said.

Lindsay Brown may be contacted at lbrown@themiamihurricane.com.

Lindsay Brown

News Editor

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...