Sorority founded on culture, friendship

Five best friends, two years and lots of determination.
That’s what it took for the founding sisters of Delta Phi Omega to establish a chapter of the national South Asian sorority at the university.
The girls, with varied backgrounds from Bangladesh, India and other South Asian countries, became best friends while living together in Stanford Residential College. Proud and tied to their cultural backgrounds, they recognized a void at the university for South Asian culture.
“There was no organization we could call our own,” said sorority vice president Mashail Manzur.
But then they stumbled upon Delta Phi Omega.
“We met sisters from other chapters in Florida and decided we wanted to start our own chapter here,” said president Nisha Chowdhury. “It was something that we could take pride in.”
DPO was first founded in 1998 at the University of Houston and his since grown to over 30 chapters nationwide. The sorority strives to foster unity among South Asian women, build community awareness and gain a greater understanding of oneself and others by instilling strong leadership traits and emphasizing high academic performance. It is founded on the five pillars of sisterhood, respect, loyalty, honesty and friendship.
The girls began establishing the Miami chapter in the spring of 2009. It was officially recognized this March and now falls under the Multiethnic Greek Council. But their work is far from complete.
The founding members are all juniors with tough course loads, four of the girls are pre-med and the fifth is pre-law. So their goal for next year is to “recruit, recruit, recruit” to ensure that their hard work doesn’t go to waste.
“DPO has a name among South Asian women and we see the interest here already,” said Chowdhury. “We know our membership will grow.”
The sorority gives members an opportunity to make social connections, learn about South Asian culture and contribute philanthropically. But the girls stress that members don’t have to be of South Asian decent to be a part of the sorority.
The Miami chapter will also participate in DPO’s national charity event that is aimed at eradicating child illiteracy rates in South Asian countries. Literacy through Unity week is held every spring. In the past, the national sorority raised over $25,000 to donate to programs that help teach children in developing countries to read. In India, the overall literacy rate is 65 percent, with a female literacy rate of 54 percent.
“Literacy and education is something we’re very passionate about. If you start teaching children early, then they will succeed and help transform the developing countries,” founding member Priyanka Surio said.
All first generation Americans, through DPO these girls hope to find a blend between their South Asian backgrounds and American culture. And one of their biggest obstacles was convincing their parents that “going greek” wasn’t necessarily a bad thing.
“Initially our parents had reservations about it because sometimes ‘Greek’ has a negative connotation to it,” Chowdhury said. “But now that they see how close we’ve all become and the relationships we’re creating, they’re okay with it.”
Greek life is about making friendships that last and building a support system. Delta Phi Omega just adds a South Asian twist to the friendships and the camaraderie.

Heather Carney may be contacted at hcarney@themiamihurricane.com.

Heather Carney

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...