Commencement speakers announced

Between May 12-14, nearly 3,500 students will make the transition from students to alumni at the commencement ceremonies at the BankUnited Center. This year’s speakers for the undergraduate ceremonies are accomplished professionals who will bring years of experience and words of wisdom to new graduates. Here are the speakers for each ceremony.

Business Administration and Engineering: Admiral James Stavridis

Admiral James Stavridis is a 1976 distinguished graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy and a native of South Florida. He is a career surface warfare officer and served at sea in carriers, cruisers and destroyers. He assumed duties as Commander of European Command and as Supreme Allied Commander, Europe in early summer 2009. He holds various decorations and awards, including two awards of the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, the Defense Superior Service Medal and five awards of the Legion of Merit.

Architecture, Communication, Education, Music and Nursing: Robert Stern

Robert Stern, Dean of the Yale School of Architecture, is a writer, teacher and practicing architect. His work is generally classified as postmodern, and may have been the first architect to use the term “postmodernism.” His work has landed him the is the 2011 Driehaus Prize laureate award, the American Institute of Architects New York Chapter’s Medal of Honor in 1984 and the Chapter’s President’s Award in 2001. He has lectured extensively in the United States and abroad and is the author of several books. As founder and Senior Partner of Robert A.M. Stern Architects, he directs the design of each of the firm’s projects. He will be receiving an Honorary Doctorate of Human Letters at the commencement ceremony.

Arts & Sciences and RSMAS: Sherry Lansing

After nearly 30 years in the film industry, Sherry Lansing has many titles under her belt. These include: actress, former CEO of Paramount Pictures, first woman to head a Hollywood studio as former president of production at 20th Century Fox. Lansing has been involved in the production, marketing and distribution of more than 200 films, including Academy Award winners Forrest Gump (1994), Braveheart (1995) and Titanic (1997). In 1996 she was the first woman studio head to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. She will also be receiving an Honorary Doctorate of Human Letters at the commencement ceremony.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO:

Undergraduate ceremonies will take place May 13.

8:30 a.m.: School of Business Administration and College of Engineering

12:30 p.m.: School of Architecture, School of Communication, School of Education, Phillip and Patricia Frost School of Music and School of Nursing and Health Studies

5 p.m.: College of Arts and Sciences and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science

For more information on commencement, visit miami.edu/commencement, where the undergraduate ceremonies will be webcast live.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...