Commencement speakers announced

Between May 12-14, nearly 3,500 students will make the transition from students to alumni at the commencement ceremonies at the BankUnited Center. This year’s speakers for the undergraduate ceremonies are accomplished professionals who will bring years of experience and words of wisdom to new graduates. Here are the speakers for each ceremony.

Business Administration and Engineering: Admiral James Stavridis

Admiral James Stavridis is a 1976 distinguished graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy and a native of South Florida. He is a career surface warfare officer and served at sea in carriers, cruisers and destroyers. He assumed duties as Commander of European Command and as Supreme Allied Commander, Europe in early summer 2009. He holds various decorations and awards, including two awards of the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, the Defense Superior Service Medal and five awards of the Legion of Merit.

Architecture, Communication, Education, Music and Nursing: Robert Stern

Robert Stern, Dean of the Yale School of Architecture, is a writer, teacher and practicing architect. His work is generally classified as postmodern, and may have been the first architect to use the term “postmodernism.” His work has landed him the is the 2011 Driehaus Prize laureate award, the American Institute of Architects New York Chapter’s Medal of Honor in 1984 and the Chapter’s President’s Award in 2001. He has lectured extensively in the United States and abroad and is the author of several books. As founder and Senior Partner of Robert A.M. Stern Architects, he directs the design of each of the firm’s projects. He will be receiving an Honorary Doctorate of Human Letters at the commencement ceremony.

Arts & Sciences and RSMAS: Sherry Lansing

After nearly 30 years in the film industry, Sherry Lansing has many titles under her belt. These include: actress, former CEO of Paramount Pictures, first woman to head a Hollywood studio as former president of production at 20th Century Fox. Lansing has been involved in the production, marketing and distribution of more than 200 films, including Academy Award winners Forrest Gump (1994), Braveheart (1995) and Titanic (1997). In 1996 she was the first woman studio head to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. She will also be receiving an Honorary Doctorate of Human Letters at the commencement ceremony.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO:

Undergraduate ceremonies will take place May 13.

8:30 a.m.: School of Business Administration and College of Engineering

12:30 p.m.: School of Architecture, School of Communication, School of Education, Phillip and Patricia Frost School of Music and School of Nursing and Health Studies

5 p.m.: College of Arts and Sciences and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science

For more information on commencement, visit miami.edu/commencement, where the undergraduate ceremonies will be webcast live.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...