Commencement speakers announced

Between May 12-14, nearly 3,500 students will make the transition from students to alumni at the commencement ceremonies at the BankUnited Center. This year’s speakers for the undergraduate ceremonies are accomplished professionals who will bring years of experience and words of wisdom to new graduates. Here are the speakers for each ceremony.

Business Administration and Engineering: Admiral James Stavridis

Admiral James Stavridis is a 1976 distinguished graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy and a native of South Florida. He is a career surface warfare officer and served at sea in carriers, cruisers and destroyers. He assumed duties as Commander of European Command and as Supreme Allied Commander, Europe in early summer 2009. He holds various decorations and awards, including two awards of the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, the Defense Superior Service Medal and five awards of the Legion of Merit.

Architecture, Communication, Education, Music and Nursing: Robert Stern

Robert Stern, Dean of the Yale School of Architecture, is a writer, teacher and practicing architect. His work is generally classified as postmodern, and may have been the first architect to use the term “postmodernism.” His work has landed him the is the 2011 Driehaus Prize laureate award, the American Institute of Architects New York Chapter’s Medal of Honor in 1984 and the Chapter’s President’s Award in 2001. He has lectured extensively in the United States and abroad and is the author of several books. As founder and Senior Partner of Robert A.M. Stern Architects, he directs the design of each of the firm’s projects. He will be receiving an Honorary Doctorate of Human Letters at the commencement ceremony.

Arts & Sciences and RSMAS: Sherry Lansing

After nearly 30 years in the film industry, Sherry Lansing has many titles under her belt. These include: actress, former CEO of Paramount Pictures, first woman to head a Hollywood studio as former president of production at 20th Century Fox. Lansing has been involved in the production, marketing and distribution of more than 200 films, including Academy Award winners Forrest Gump (1994), Braveheart (1995) and Titanic (1997). In 1996 she was the first woman studio head to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. She will also be receiving an Honorary Doctorate of Human Letters at the commencement ceremony.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO:

Undergraduate ceremonies will take place May 13.

8:30 a.m.: School of Business Administration and College of Engineering

12:30 p.m.: School of Architecture, School of Communication, School of Education, Phillip and Patricia Frost School of Music and School of Nursing and Health Studies

5 p.m.: College of Arts and Sciences and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science

For more information on commencement, visit miami.edu/commencement, where the undergraduate ceremonies will be webcast live.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...