Think before you sign the lease

As we draw closer and closer to the end of another semester, all students go through the same dilemma. No, not whether to get a color, full-back tattoo of Donna Shalala throwing up the U, or if you should stomach eating at Charty’s ever again, but rather where to live next year! The big decision is whether or not to live on campus, and each side of the decision has its own arguments.

I’ve met kids who swear by the fact that living on or near campus, like the dorms, Red Road or University Inn, is the best decision they’ve made. The ability to wake up 10 minutes before your class is scheduled to start, roll out of bed, jump in the shower, walk out the door and still make it to your class on time is certainly advantageous, especially for those 8 a.m. tortur… I mean classes.

Eating at the on-campus dining halls might not have the same culinary appeal as going out to eat, but always having a full, hot meal where you don’t have to pay tax or tip just downstairs is something too many people take for granted. I will admit, I lived in Eaton and Pearson during my first two years of school, and had some hilarious memories. Tip for living in the dorms: Never try to keep or breed animals in your suitemates’ room. True story.

Living off campus is a transition all students must go through at some point during their time at school. Miami is a vast diverse city, with each distinct area having its own cultural background and unique aspects.

Coconut Grove has abundant housing, all within walking distance of the dozens of bars and restaurants that define the area.

Brickell is a 15-minute drive down U.S. 1, but puts you right on the edge of downtown Miami’s lavish lifestyle and Key Biscayne’s sandy beaches. I made the choice to live there with a friend this year, and have enjoyed every second of it.

Whether you decide the dorms are where you are comfortable or that a skyline apartment suits you best, there are many factors you have to consider when deciding where to live. Cost, distance from classes, available resources, proximity to supermarkets or convenience stores and number of roommates are all facets to consider when choosing a place. These four years of undergrad fly by, so find a place where you’ll feel comfortable and can enjoy your time here at the University of Miami.

Evan Peskin is a junior majoring in pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...