Staff editorial 4/28: How to kick stress to the curb

Up to your eyeballs in tests? Projects making you want to smash your head against a wall? Boss expecting too much of you? We feel your pain. Here are some of our favorite stress-busting tips.

#1 – Make lists. Lists are an awesome organizational tool. They help keep track of what you need to do, what’s most important to get done, and when you should do what. And crossing something off always feels great!

#2 – Exercise. Make the effort to squeeze in that workout to clear your mind and get those endorphins going.

#3 – Pamper yourself. Making yourself look and feel good can give you the boost you need to tackle that next test.

#4 – Go for a drive. Finances and gas prices permitting, driving aimlessly with the radio blaring is a great way to escape the pressures of life for a little while.

#5 – Listen to music and/or sing along. Your favorite song can be the perfect pick-me-up after a long day. And, if you feel up to it, belt it out! Let off some of that frustration by singing at the top of your lungs.

#6 – Treat yourself. Sometimes, you need a little bit of incentive to get you through the day, or a reward for just being conscious at the end of it. Indulge in your favorite treat or comfort food to get back to your happy place.

#7 – Watch TV or a movie. An episode of your go-to TV show or a movie is great for a quick break from studying or to unwind at the end of the day.

#8 – Call your parents. They may be far away, but parents are always good for a shoulder to cry on and can give some great advice.

#9 – Cry. Sometimes things just suck. It’s okay to be upset and let it out. Things look better after a good cry.

#10 – Sleep. That all-nighter you pulled is not doing your stress levels any favors. Put down the books and get a solid night’s sleep. You’ll feel better, guaranteed!

Bonus! #11 – Remind yourself why you’re working so hard. Watch an inspirational movie, read something empowering or write down your goals and motivations. Stress exists for a reason, and conquering it will definitely be worth it.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...