Sports briefs 4/28

GOLF

Senior Maria Ronderos has been selected to participate as an individual in the 2011 NCAA Division I Women’s Golf East Regional in Daytona Beach, Fla. Having shot the fourth-lowest stroke average in school history, Ronderos is the first Hurricane to qualify as an individual for regionals since 2003. The competition takes place from May 5-7.

Women’s Tennis

Last Saturday, the Hurricanes were eliminated from the ACC Championships in the semifinal round, losing 4-2 to North Carolina. Senior Bianca Eickhorn set a new school record for career singles victories (132), winning the first point for Miami in the No. 1 singles position. Eickhorn has been named ACC Player of the Year. The Canes next compete in the NCAA Championship Tournament, beginning on May 13.

Track and Field

At the ACC Championships last Saturday, UM earned several individual titles. Ti’erra Brown won the 100m hurdles with a time of 12.94 seconds, and Devon Hill won the 110m hurdles with a time of 13.66 seconds. Megan Novinger earned All-ACC honors, placing third in the high jump. Overall, the women finished in sixth place, and the men in ninth. Miami next competes in the Penn Relays at the University of Pennsylvania on April 28-30.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Darci Miller can be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...