Meanies in Miami need to learn their manners

It is a truth universally acknowledged that teenagers today don’t know how to act properly. It seems that just as time sheds pounds off electronics by making them more compact and advanced, time also trims down on people’s politeness.

What happened to the days of writing thank you cards to those who demonstrated random acts of kindness? Or to the days when people were simply polite to each other?

In a city teeming with diversity, a lack of a standard of etiquette may be the reason why people are so downright rude. Days when traits such as kindness and properness were king and queen, such as those displayed in Jane Austen’s novels, are long gone.

Miami was rated No. 4 rudest city in America by Travel + Leisure Magazine this year, so it’s no surprise that the city runs amuck with rude people.

Recently, I had a conversation with a person who was distributing propaganda. Without being asked for permission, a neighboring person pointed a video camera at me. I was deeply insulted that a stranger believed to have the inherent permission to simply record my ordinary conversation.

Perhaps I was simply born in the wrong era, but it’s time people start considering more politeness when interacting with others. Surely, there has to be some sort of code of etiquette taught around the world, and it’s time people start abiding by it.

Stephanie Parra is a freshman majoring in journalism and political science. She may be contacted at sparra@themiamihurricane.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...