Meanies in Miami need to learn their manners

It is a truth universally acknowledged that teenagers today don’t know how to act properly. It seems that just as time sheds pounds off electronics by making them more compact and advanced, time also trims down on people’s politeness.

What happened to the days of writing thank you cards to those who demonstrated random acts of kindness? Or to the days when people were simply polite to each other?

In a city teeming with diversity, a lack of a standard of etiquette may be the reason why people are so downright rude. Days when traits such as kindness and properness were king and queen, such as those displayed in Jane Austen’s novels, are long gone.

Miami was rated No. 4 rudest city in America by Travel + Leisure Magazine this year, so it’s no surprise that the city runs amuck with rude people.

Recently, I had a conversation with a person who was distributing propaganda. Without being asked for permission, a neighboring person pointed a video camera at me. I was deeply insulted that a stranger believed to have the inherent permission to simply record my ordinary conversation.

Perhaps I was simply born in the wrong era, but it’s time people start considering more politeness when interacting with others. Surely, there has to be some sort of code of etiquette taught around the world, and it’s time people start abiding by it.

Stephanie Parra is a freshman majoring in journalism and political science. She may be contacted at sparra@themiamihurricane.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...