Make your mark on the University of Miami

My entire education has come within a five-mile radius.

I didn’t mean for it to happen that way, though, I promise. But as I tried to make my decision on which university I would call home over the next four years (as far away as possible, please!) the University of Miami came out on top.

Needless to say I initially wasn’t the happiest of campers. My parents forced me to live on campus, so Stanford it was. On came communal bathrooms and Chartwells. And a SportsFest defeat.

As fate would have it, during one of my first days of orientation, I saw a banner about joining The Miami Hurricane. Ever since I was a little girl I’ve wanted to write about sports. This was finally my opportunity to pursue my dream after spending high school playing on the field.

This, I thought, could be my place to fit in at UM.

Soccer was my first beat. I had played it practically my entire life and Stacey Arnold, the sports editor at the time, thought that would be a good starting point. At the end of my first semester, I got the chance to be on the sidelines for the final Orange Bowl game, though many of us would like to forget it.

Coming back on the Metro that night, there’s no way I could’ve imagined one day becoming editor-in-chief of the school paper. Or how four years could fly by faster than a Firebolt.

Sure, I had already heard that you make your lifelong friends in college. You also get to discover who you are.

So for those of you with more time left at the University of Miami, enjoy every moment of being here. This school has so many possibilities for you. Find your niche like I did when I asked to write for the student newspaper.

You can perform onstage at the Ring Theatre or intern with the Miami Heat. You can run for student government or take up research projects. Heck, hang out at the Rat’s new location as much as possible.

Whatever you do, leave your mark. You chose the University of Miami for a reason. Now back up your decision by making the most of it.

Christina De Nicola is a senior majoring in print journalism and sport administration. She will be an associate reporter for MLB.com covering the Florida Marlins after graduation. She may be contacted at cdenicola@themiamihurricane.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...