Make your mark on the University of Miami

My entire education has come within a five-mile radius.

I didn’t mean for it to happen that way, though, I promise. But as I tried to make my decision on which university I would call home over the next four years (as far away as possible, please!) the University of Miami came out on top.

Needless to say I initially wasn’t the happiest of campers. My parents forced me to live on campus, so Stanford it was. On came communal bathrooms and Chartwells. And a SportsFest defeat.

As fate would have it, during one of my first days of orientation, I saw a banner about joining The Miami Hurricane. Ever since I was a little girl I’ve wanted to write about sports. This was finally my opportunity to pursue my dream after spending high school playing on the field.

This, I thought, could be my place to fit in at UM.

Soccer was my first beat. I had played it practically my entire life and Stacey Arnold, the sports editor at the time, thought that would be a good starting point. At the end of my first semester, I got the chance to be on the sidelines for the final Orange Bowl game, though many of us would like to forget it.

Coming back on the Metro that night, there’s no way I could’ve imagined one day becoming editor-in-chief of the school paper. Or how four years could fly by faster than a Firebolt.

Sure, I had already heard that you make your lifelong friends in college. You also get to discover who you are.

So for those of you with more time left at the University of Miami, enjoy every moment of being here. This school has so many possibilities for you. Find your niche like I did when I asked to write for the student newspaper.

You can perform onstage at the Ring Theatre or intern with the Miami Heat. You can run for student government or take up research projects. Heck, hang out at the Rat’s new location as much as possible.

Whatever you do, leave your mark. You chose the University of Miami for a reason. Now back up your decision by making the most of it.

Christina De Nicola is a senior majoring in print journalism and sport administration. She will be an associate reporter for MLB.com covering the Florida Marlins after graduation. She may be contacted at cdenicola@themiamihurricane.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...