Baseball, Sports

FSU vs. UM Matchups

Intangibles- Like any rivalry between the Canes and the Seminoles, this is a big weekend for both of these teams. The Canes went 2-2 against the Seminoles last year. Still, this is an FSU team that went to the College World Series last year. The Seminoles come into the series on a seven-game winning streak, including a series sweep of the Duke Blue Devils. Miami won two of three against North Carolina, who at the time was ranked No.10, so both teams have a lot going for them heading into the series.

Pitching- For the most part, both teams have gone as far as their starting pitching has taken them. Hurricane starter Bryan Radziewski has been as advertised, continuing to be that reliable Friday night starter. Despite his struggles against the Tar Heels on Sunday, E.J Encinosa has proven he is capable of shutting down teams when he’s on his game. Between the two of them and Eric Whaley,  the trio has a combined ERA of 3.30. The Seminoles do have one of the top pitchers- Sean Gilmartin, who is 7-1 on the season with an ERA of 1.38.

Bullpen- For the most part the bullpen has been solid for the Canes. Travis Miller has shut down the opposition in the times he’s come in. Sam Robinson has also been able to keep close games in the Canes’ favor before handing things to Daniel Miranda (who has 11 saves on the season). The Canes do face off against the likes of Daniel Bennett and Robert Benincasa, who both sport ERAs under 3.00.

Catcher- This is one position where the Hurricanes have struggled offensively this season. Though stout defensively, the duo of Shane Rowland and David Villasuso have struggled at the plate all year. Rowland is hitting just .185 on the year. The Seminoles counter with Rafael Lopez, who has only committed one error on the year and is hitting .301.

Infield- Miami owns the advantage here, with Rony Rodriguez leading the Canes in homeruns with 7. Harold Martinez is on 10-game hitting streak. Jayce Boyd leads all Seminole infielders with a .322 average, but the other starting infielders are hitting well under the .300 mark.

Outfield- Both the Canes and Seminoles are matched up pretty evenly in the outfield. Dale Carey has impressed as a freshman, and Nathan Melendres is more than capable of getting that clutch hit when it’s needed. The Seminoles do counter with James Ramsey and Mike McGee, who lead the team hitting at .362 and .343 respectively. Mike McGee has also traditionally been a Hurricane killer.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...