Baseball, Sports

FSU vs. UM Matchups

Intangibles- Like any rivalry between the Canes and the Seminoles, this is a big weekend for both of these teams. The Canes went 2-2 against the Seminoles last year. Still, this is an FSU team that went to the College World Series last year. The Seminoles come into the series on a seven-game winning streak, including a series sweep of the Duke Blue Devils. Miami won two of three against North Carolina, who at the time was ranked No.10, so both teams have a lot going for them heading into the series.

Pitching- For the most part, both teams have gone as far as their starting pitching has taken them. Hurricane starter Bryan Radziewski has been as advertised, continuing to be that reliable Friday night starter. Despite his struggles against the Tar Heels on Sunday, E.J Encinosa has proven he is capable of shutting down teams when he’s on his game. Between the two of them and Eric Whaley,  the trio has a combined ERA of 3.30. The Seminoles do have one of the top pitchers- Sean Gilmartin, who is 7-1 on the season with an ERA of 1.38.

Bullpen- For the most part the bullpen has been solid for the Canes. Travis Miller has shut down the opposition in the times he’s come in. Sam Robinson has also been able to keep close games in the Canes’ favor before handing things to Daniel Miranda (who has 11 saves on the season). The Canes do face off against the likes of Daniel Bennett and Robert Benincasa, who both sport ERAs under 3.00.

Catcher- This is one position where the Hurricanes have struggled offensively this season. Though stout defensively, the duo of Shane Rowland and David Villasuso have struggled at the plate all year. Rowland is hitting just .185 on the year. The Seminoles counter with Rafael Lopez, who has only committed one error on the year and is hitting .301.

Infield- Miami owns the advantage here, with Rony Rodriguez leading the Canes in homeruns with 7. Harold Martinez is on 10-game hitting streak. Jayce Boyd leads all Seminole infielders with a .322 average, but the other starting infielders are hitting well under the .300 mark.

Outfield- Both the Canes and Seminoles are matched up pretty evenly in the outfield. Dale Carey has impressed as a freshman, and Nathan Melendres is more than capable of getting that clutch hit when it’s needed. The Seminoles do counter with James Ramsey and Mike McGee, who lead the team hitting at .362 and .343 respectively. Mike McGee has also traditionally been a Hurricane killer.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...