Baseball, Sports

FSU vs. UM Matchups

Intangibles- Like any rivalry between the Canes and the Seminoles, this is a big weekend for both of these teams. The Canes went 2-2 against the Seminoles last year. Still, this is an FSU team that went to the College World Series last year. The Seminoles come into the series on a seven-game winning streak, including a series sweep of the Duke Blue Devils. Miami won two of three against North Carolina, who at the time was ranked No.10, so both teams have a lot going for them heading into the series.

Pitching- For the most part, both teams have gone as far as their starting pitching has taken them. Hurricane starter Bryan Radziewski has been as advertised, continuing to be that reliable Friday night starter. Despite his struggles against the Tar Heels on Sunday, E.J Encinosa has proven he is capable of shutting down teams when he’s on his game. Between the two of them and Eric Whaley,  the trio has a combined ERA of 3.30. The Seminoles do have one of the top pitchers- Sean Gilmartin, who is 7-1 on the season with an ERA of 1.38.

Bullpen- For the most part the bullpen has been solid for the Canes. Travis Miller has shut down the opposition in the times he’s come in. Sam Robinson has also been able to keep close games in the Canes’ favor before handing things to Daniel Miranda (who has 11 saves on the season). The Canes do face off against the likes of Daniel Bennett and Robert Benincasa, who both sport ERAs under 3.00.

Catcher- This is one position where the Hurricanes have struggled offensively this season. Though stout defensively, the duo of Shane Rowland and David Villasuso have struggled at the plate all year. Rowland is hitting just .185 on the year. The Seminoles counter with Rafael Lopez, who has only committed one error on the year and is hitting .301.

Infield- Miami owns the advantage here, with Rony Rodriguez leading the Canes in homeruns with 7. Harold Martinez is on 10-game hitting streak. Jayce Boyd leads all Seminole infielders with a .322 average, but the other starting infielders are hitting well under the .300 mark.

Outfield- Both the Canes and Seminoles are matched up pretty evenly in the outfield. Dale Carey has impressed as a freshman, and Nathan Melendres is more than capable of getting that clutch hit when it’s needed. The Seminoles do counter with James Ramsey and Mike McGee, who lead the team hitting at .362 and .343 respectively. Mike McGee has also traditionally been a Hurricane killer.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ offense has struggled for about a month now and Saturday there was no bigger c ...

Thoughts and postscripts after UM’s 27-21 loss at Georgia Tech on Saturday: ▪ If Mark Richt intends ...

The Miami Hurricanes have spiraled into a deep dive, with little time left to surface for air. In a ...

When Jack Spicer first booted away a 38-yard punt early in the second quarter against the Georgia Te ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

The “It’s On Us” Student Ambassador Program empowers peers to overcome sexual misconduct and gender ...

The Hurricanes advance to the Preseason WNIT semifinals. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team fell to North Carolina, 3-1, on Veteran's Day at Carmic ...

The No. 25/24 Miami women's basketball team will resume play in the Preseason WNIT Sunday after ...

The Hurricanes fall to Georgia Tech in Atlanta Saturday night. ...

Freshmen Franco Aubone and Kaya Gore of the University of Miami men's tennis team captured a do ...