Baseball, Sports

FSU vs. UM Matchups

Intangibles- Like any rivalry between the Canes and the Seminoles, this is a big weekend for both of these teams. The Canes went 2-2 against the Seminoles last year. Still, this is an FSU team that went to the College World Series last year. The Seminoles come into the series on a seven-game winning streak, including a series sweep of the Duke Blue Devils. Miami won two of three against North Carolina, who at the time was ranked No.10, so both teams have a lot going for them heading into the series.

Pitching- For the most part, both teams have gone as far as their starting pitching has taken them. Hurricane starter Bryan Radziewski has been as advertised, continuing to be that reliable Friday night starter. Despite his struggles against the Tar Heels on Sunday, E.J Encinosa has proven he is capable of shutting down teams when he’s on his game. Between the two of them and Eric Whaley,  the trio has a combined ERA of 3.30. The Seminoles do have one of the top pitchers- Sean Gilmartin, who is 7-1 on the season with an ERA of 1.38.

Bullpen- For the most part the bullpen has been solid for the Canes. Travis Miller has shut down the opposition in the times he’s come in. Sam Robinson has also been able to keep close games in the Canes’ favor before handing things to Daniel Miranda (who has 11 saves on the season). The Canes do face off against the likes of Daniel Bennett and Robert Benincasa, who both sport ERAs under 3.00.

Catcher- This is one position where the Hurricanes have struggled offensively this season. Though stout defensively, the duo of Shane Rowland and David Villasuso have struggled at the plate all year. Rowland is hitting just .185 on the year. The Seminoles counter with Rafael Lopez, who has only committed one error on the year and is hitting .301.

Infield- Miami owns the advantage here, with Rony Rodriguez leading the Canes in homeruns with 7. Harold Martinez is on 10-game hitting streak. Jayce Boyd leads all Seminole infielders with a .322 average, but the other starting infielders are hitting well under the .300 mark.

Outfield- Both the Canes and Seminoles are matched up pretty evenly in the outfield. Dale Carey has impressed as a freshman, and Nathan Melendres is more than capable of getting that clutch hit when it’s needed. The Seminoles do counter with James Ramsey and Mike McGee, who lead the team hitting at .362 and .343 respectively. Mike McGee has also traditionally been a Hurricane killer.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

The Miami track and field program is set to compete at the Tom Jones Memorial meet this weekend for ...

The No. 24 Hurricanes welcome ACC Coastal division foe Virginia Tech for a three-game series beginni ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...