Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Field hockey team grows and improves

Dribbling the ball down the field, sophomore Danielle D’Arcy passes the ball to Colleen Rowe, who drives it into  the goal.

It may sound like a typical play in soccer or hockey, but D’Arcy and Rowe are not playing either of those sports- they are playing field hockey instead.

Field hockey is a sport where players attempt to score goals by hitting, pushing or flicking a ball into the opposing team’s goal using sticks.

Modern field hockey was created during the 19th century in English public schools. Currently, hockey has many tournaments for both sexes such as the Olympic Games and the Commonwealth Games.

Priya Partridge started playing field hockey since high school and wanted to continued at UM. She has improved her skills and tried out different positions.

“I played defense in high school, but you get a chance to play all the positions on the club team,” Partridge said.

Colleen Gill has also played field hockey for some time. She finds it therapeutic.

“I have played since sixth grade and really enjoyed it, especially throughout high school because it helped me relieve stress,” Gill said.

However, the team does not require experience. They enjoy teaching new people and want more girls on the team.

“I would recommend the sport to other people. It’s easy to learn and we have equipment, so you don’t need to buy anything to play. Everyone on the team is really nice and welcoming to new people,” D’Arcy said.

Even though field hockey is not very popular in Florida, it has a passionate following.

“It’s difficult to recruit new people because not many Floridians know what field hockey is. While I’m walking to practice with my stick, my Floridian friends have literally asked me why I’m carrying a cane,” D’Arcy said.

The field hockey team currently has 12 devoted members. They have not had any recent official matches but they are involved in the field hockey community.

They have gone to support FIU’s team in their matches, and are planning to compete in more tournaments against different universities in the upcoming semesters.

They are also planning to host a tournament at UM to encourage their fellow Canes to check them out and potentially join the team.

The team continues to grow and improve. The players are eager to teach and share their love for field hockey. Regardless of skill level, anyone can play. It is a great way to stay fit and meet new people.

If you want to catch the team at practice, stop by the intramural fields on Mondays and Thursdays from  6 to 7:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to noon.

Rosa Orihuela can be contacted at rorihuela@themiamihurricane.com.

Rosa Orihuela

Contributing Sports Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...