Feminists still have a purpose

I am tired of people saying that feminists don’t have a purpose anymore. I am tired of hearing that I am not a feminist because I embrace my femme side so often. Most of all, I am tired of trying to explain it.

Not all feminists are the same. There are different waves, thoughts, and methods. Feminism is about giving women control and rights to be equal. It is about embracing being a woman. Do not assume all feminists are post-modern and for the abolition of gender.

I struggle to find words to express this level of rage. I don’t even know where to start. Society classifies women as subordinate. We need feminism now more than ever. Rape is so pervasive that it is in our language. I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard someone say “Oh I raped that test!”. Is that how apathetic we are? 1 out of 3 women will be raped. Every two minutes a women is sexually assaulted and less than 25% of rapes are reported. Feeling sick yet? We teach victims of rape that they “deserved it.” It is their fault. They are too scared to seek help because we shame them into silence. Women are genuinely afraid. I am afraid. I am one of 3 females in my family. Assault doesn’t just happen in back alleys.

The lack of reproductive health, whether access or education, is equally nauseating. Legislatures (ironically mostly men) are telling me what I cannot do with my body, but not teaching me about it. Education failed us. Most females have never been taught about accidental pregnancies or STDs. My education has taught me that if I ever find myself in that situation, I am at fault. I am dirty. And I went to a school with sex ed focused on those issues.

I am one of the lucky ones. There are two planned parenthoods in my area. I cannot even fathom the environment in an area without access to the clinic (which is most). Misogyny is so deep in our system that I am disillusioned. I will make 70 cents to every $1 an equally qualified male makes. The worst part is the irony of my statements. I am a white, middle-class female going to a private college. My injustices do not even compare to poverty stricken ethnic females. That is the scariest part.

Natasha Tomchin is a freshman majoring in history and public relations. She may be contacted at ntomchin@themiamihurricane.com.

Natasha Tomchin

Staff EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...