Feminists still have a purpose

I am tired of people saying that feminists don’t have a purpose anymore. I am tired of hearing that I am not a feminist because I embrace my femme side so often. Most of all, I am tired of trying to explain it.

Not all feminists are the same. There are different waves, thoughts, and methods. Feminism is about giving women control and rights to be equal. It is about embracing being a woman. Do not assume all feminists are post-modern and for the abolition of gender.

I struggle to find words to express this level of rage. I don’t even know where to start. Society classifies women as subordinate. We need feminism now more than ever. Rape is so pervasive that it is in our language. I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard someone say “Oh I raped that test!”. Is that how apathetic we are? 1 out of 3 women will be raped. Every two minutes a women is sexually assaulted and less than 25% of rapes are reported. Feeling sick yet? We teach victims of rape that they “deserved it.” It is their fault. They are too scared to seek help because we shame them into silence. Women are genuinely afraid. I am afraid. I am one of 3 females in my family. Assault doesn’t just happen in back alleys.

The lack of reproductive health, whether access or education, is equally nauseating. Legislatures (ironically mostly men) are telling me what I cannot do with my body, but not teaching me about it. Education failed us. Most females have never been taught about accidental pregnancies or STDs. My education has taught me that if I ever find myself in that situation, I am at fault. I am dirty. And I went to a school with sex ed focused on those issues.

I am one of the lucky ones. There are two planned parenthoods in my area. I cannot even fathom the environment in an area without access to the clinic (which is most). Misogyny is so deep in our system that I am disillusioned. I will make 70 cents to every $1 an equally qualified male makes. The worst part is the irony of my statements. I am a white, middle-class female going to a private college. My injustices do not even compare to poverty stricken ethnic females. That is the scariest part.

Natasha Tomchin is a freshman majoring in history and public relations. She may be contacted at ntomchin@themiamihurricane.com.

Natasha Tomchin

Staff EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...