Canes Film Festival showcases student work

Film students, take note- your shot at Hollywood Stardom is right here.

Now in its 14th year, the Canes Film Festival is a three-day event at Cosford Cinema that showcases pieces created by undergraduate and graduate students.

This year, members of UFilm and other students will completely run the festival.  The theme, “Celebrating the Past, but Never Looking Back,” emphasizes the changing technologies of film, but also embraces significant changes to the event.

“We’ve had a big transformation from last year- the Fesitval is now student-run, we have digital submission, screening is at a higher quality standard and the judging has been revamped,” said Maggie Drayton, a second-year graduate student who has been designated the festival manager.

School of Communication Assistant Dean Blyth Daylong said that the festival brings in a numerous amount of people to the Cosford Cinema.

“Lots of students go to see each other’s films and bring their friends and family,” he said. “There’s usually standing room only on Friday and Saturday.”

Prejudging  is done by local industry professionals who watch between 60 and 70 films that have to be under 20 minutes each. Prizes are offered in several different categories, including a “Best of Festival” for one undergraduate and one graduate film. The winners will be screened in Los Angeles for agents, producers and directors.

“We’re serious about what is up-to-standard in the industry level,” Drayton said. “These are the best films we have to offer.”

The final lineup of films can be seen on the CFF website, canesfilmfestival.com, as the event nears.

Alexandra Valenzuela may be contacted at avalenzuela@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Valenzuela

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...