Borscht film festival refreshes

If you did not go to Borscht, you had a disappointing Saturday night. You missed one hell of a film festival and one great after party.

The Knight Concert Hall at the Adrienne Arscht Center lit up with a hip young crowd of film lovers. Over three and a half hours, 23 short films were premiered.

About 20 of them were commissioned by Borscht for Borscht. The films ranged in topic, genre and length, anywhere between one minute and 20. But they all had one thing in common- they were shot in Miami, inspired by Miami or directed by Miami residents.

Some films were sobering and introspective. Others were saucy, ironic or funny. There was a film for every taste.

The top four were: “With Me,” “Play Dead,” “Chlorophyll” and “La Pageant Diva.” “With Me” followed a young woman who reconnects with her childhood in an attempt to feel whole again. “Play Dead” was about the survival of dogs during a Zombie apocalypse. “Chlorophyll” documented the reality of a failed relationship. “La Pageant Diva” focused on a beauty queen running the next generation of divas.

These films were refreshing and raw. It wasn’t all about the glitz and action, but more about real life. A lot of the films ended up being a social commentary, which was a breath of fresh air. It’s also amazing to see how tight-knit the art scene is in Miami. The festival and after party were intimate and warm with everyone mingling and congratulating each other.

Natasha Tomchin may be contacted at ntomchin@themiamihurricane.com.

Natasha Tomchin

Staff EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...