Seniors find hope in improving job market

Amid a fluctuating economy, it comes as no surprise that some seniors have expressed worry in finding a job after graduation.

In its job outlook update for fall 2011, the National Association of Colleges and Employers found that employers plan to hire 19.3 percent more graduates in the 2010-2011 academic year than they did in the previous year.

Some graduating seniors are encouraged by this statistic.

“The current job market for graduating seniors is in much better shape than we have seen in a long time,” said Christian Garcia, director of the Toppel Career Center.

Although the job market seems to have improved, seniors are still worried about employment. But the employment rate for seniors after graduating with a bachelor’s degree is also dependant on their field.

“Students need to understand their industry. If the industry they are interested in requires a graduate degree, then they may have a hard time finding a job with only a bachelor’s degree,” Garcia said.

Some seniors have already secured job positions.

Senior Romy Portuondo, for instance, will be returning to a Miami company where she has been a part-time employee during the school year. On the other hand, senior Jennifer Safstrom sought out a less familiar job option.

“I will be doing Teach for America in California, I feel fortunate that I was looking for a non-traditional, service-based program; many of my friends who have been looking for full-time employments have not been successful,” Safstrom said.

Other seniors, however, have not even begun their search or have alternate plans.

“I feel like I can take a mini vacation after 18 years of straight schooling,” senior Maury Abascal said. “I have no immediate plans to attend graduate school; even though law school, film school or an MBA are possibilities down the line.”

Regardless of the variety of options available after graduation, job searching in today’s market should prove to be a better challenge to overcome than in the past years.

Claudia Cruz may be contacted at ccruz@themiamihurricane.com.

Claudia Cruz

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...