Seniors find hope in improving job market

Amid a fluctuating economy, it comes as no surprise that some seniors have expressed worry in finding a job after graduation.

In its job outlook update for fall 2011, the National Association of Colleges and Employers found that employers plan to hire 19.3 percent more graduates in the 2010-2011 academic year than they did in the previous year.

Some graduating seniors are encouraged by this statistic.

“The current job market for graduating seniors is in much better shape than we have seen in a long time,” said Christian Garcia, director of the Toppel Career Center.

Although the job market seems to have improved, seniors are still worried about employment. But the employment rate for seniors after graduating with a bachelor’s degree is also dependant on their field.

“Students need to understand their industry. If the industry they are interested in requires a graduate degree, then they may have a hard time finding a job with only a bachelor’s degree,” Garcia said.

Some seniors have already secured job positions.

Senior Romy Portuondo, for instance, will be returning to a Miami company where she has been a part-time employee during the school year. On the other hand, senior Jennifer Safstrom sought out a less familiar job option.

“I will be doing Teach for America in California, I feel fortunate that I was looking for a non-traditional, service-based program; many of my friends who have been looking for full-time employments have not been successful,” Safstrom said.

Other seniors, however, have not even begun their search or have alternate plans.

“I feel like I can take a mini vacation after 18 years of straight schooling,” senior Maury Abascal said. “I have no immediate plans to attend graduate school; even though law school, film school or an MBA are possibilities down the line.”

Regardless of the variety of options available after graduation, job searching in today’s market should prove to be a better challenge to overcome than in the past years.

Claudia Cruz may be contacted at ccruz@themiamihurricane.com.

Claudia Cruz

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...