Seniors find hope in improving job market

Amid a fluctuating economy, it comes as no surprise that some seniors have expressed worry in finding a job after graduation.

In its job outlook update for fall 2011, the National Association of Colleges and Employers found that employers plan to hire 19.3 percent more graduates in the 2010-2011 academic year than they did in the previous year.

Some graduating seniors are encouraged by this statistic.

“The current job market for graduating seniors is in much better shape than we have seen in a long time,” said Christian Garcia, director of the Toppel Career Center.

Although the job market seems to have improved, seniors are still worried about employment. But the employment rate for seniors after graduating with a bachelor’s degree is also dependant on their field.

“Students need to understand their industry. If the industry they are interested in requires a graduate degree, then they may have a hard time finding a job with only a bachelor’s degree,” Garcia said.

Some seniors have already secured job positions.

Senior Romy Portuondo, for instance, will be returning to a Miami company where she has been a part-time employee during the school year. On the other hand, senior Jennifer Safstrom sought out a less familiar job option.

“I will be doing Teach for America in California, I feel fortunate that I was looking for a non-traditional, service-based program; many of my friends who have been looking for full-time employments have not been successful,” Safstrom said.

Other seniors, however, have not even begun their search or have alternate plans.

“I feel like I can take a mini vacation after 18 years of straight schooling,” senior Maury Abascal said. “I have no immediate plans to attend graduate school; even though law school, film school or an MBA are possibilities down the line.”

Regardless of the variety of options available after graduation, job searching in today’s market should prove to be a better challenge to overcome than in the past years.

Claudia Cruz may be contacted at ccruz@themiamihurricane.com.

Claudia Cruz

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big matc ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

UM women's soccer blows past UTRGV, 4-0. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...