Seniors find hope in improving job market

Amid a fluctuating economy, it comes as no surprise that some seniors have expressed worry in finding a job after graduation.

In its job outlook update for fall 2011, the National Association of Colleges and Employers found that employers plan to hire 19.3 percent more graduates in the 2010-2011 academic year than they did in the previous year.

Some graduating seniors are encouraged by this statistic.

“The current job market for graduating seniors is in much better shape than we have seen in a long time,” said Christian Garcia, director of the Toppel Career Center.

Although the job market seems to have improved, seniors are still worried about employment. But the employment rate for seniors after graduating with a bachelor’s degree is also dependant on their field.

“Students need to understand their industry. If the industry they are interested in requires a graduate degree, then they may have a hard time finding a job with only a bachelor’s degree,” Garcia said.

Some seniors have already secured job positions.

Senior Romy Portuondo, for instance, will be returning to a Miami company where she has been a part-time employee during the school year. On the other hand, senior Jennifer Safstrom sought out a less familiar job option.

“I will be doing Teach for America in California, I feel fortunate that I was looking for a non-traditional, service-based program; many of my friends who have been looking for full-time employments have not been successful,” Safstrom said.

Other seniors, however, have not even begun their search or have alternate plans.

“I feel like I can take a mini vacation after 18 years of straight schooling,” senior Maury Abascal said. “I have no immediate plans to attend graduate school; even though law school, film school or an MBA are possibilities down the line.”

Regardless of the variety of options available after graduation, job searching in today’s market should prove to be a better challenge to overcome than in the past years.

Claudia Cruz may be contacted at ccruz@themiamihurricane.com.

Claudia Cruz

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...