Staff Editorial: Independence, Not Indifference

It’s a fact: The University of Miami is awesome.

People love us, people hate us, kids aspire to attend and we all have friends that are jealous of our college choice.

So why don’t we as a student body exhibit pride in our school? Students don’t go to sporting events; Hurricane Force has to incentivize students to attend. They don’t participate in activities like the yearbook. Only 800 people vote in SG elections. It seems people don’t get involved at all.

While UM’s diversity is a huge selling point, it may be partially responsible for our apathy. Different nationalities often segregate themselves, as do different religions, and residents and commuters. Being friendly to others on campus is seen as an oddity, and many people refrain from getting involved to avoid the inevitable awkwardness.

Campus activities and sporting events also compete with a vibrant city life. With so much going on at all times, it’s hard to attract people to a game unless the team is perennially winning. The city also encourages students to slack off in their schoolwork and spend their nights at the Grove instead of studying. Combine that with jobs and internships, and who has time for campus life?

Being in college is a major transition in a person’s life. It’s the first time we have real independence, and at the same time we have few real-world responsibilities. College is the perfect time in our lives to be apathetic, be selfish and do what we want. It’s our time to figure out who we are and what we want from life. If laziness is your thing, now’s the time to roll with it.

But just because we can be apathetic doesn’t necessarily mean we should. College is a time of almost endless opportunity, with more than 200 organizations, sports teams and Greek life to get involved with.

Even joining one club gives you the opportunity to learn new roles and skills, and helps make the college experience a well-rounded one. Don’t remain stagnant just because it’s easy. Anyone can wear the logo, but it takes a special person to be the U. You’re here- take advantage!

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier is not relinquishing that starting job anytime soon. On ...

The Miami Hurricanes don’t just have a marquee season opener against LSU on their hands on Sept. 2. ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Monday: ▪ Here’s one encouraging development this month: The fre ...

The preseason love continues. The Associated Press unveiled its Top 25 preseason rankings Monday, an ...

The Miami Hurricanes on Monday had their first practice after their second scrimmage Saturday night ...

The University of Miami welcomed more than 2,300 new students to campus as the fall semester got und ...

Intergroup Dialogue, a pilot program that will soon become a UM elective course, promotes honest tal ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami checked in at No. 8 in the preseason Associated Press poll, marking its highest position in th ...

Miami and adidas today revealed their new environmentally-conscious alternate uniforms for the 2018 ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...