Staff Editorial: Independence, Not Indifference

It’s a fact: The University of Miami is awesome.

People love us, people hate us, kids aspire to attend and we all have friends that are jealous of our college choice.

So why don’t we as a student body exhibit pride in our school? Students don’t go to sporting events; Hurricane Force has to incentivize students to attend. They don’t participate in activities like the yearbook. Only 800 people vote in SG elections. It seems people don’t get involved at all.

While UM’s diversity is a huge selling point, it may be partially responsible for our apathy. Different nationalities often segregate themselves, as do different religions, and residents and commuters. Being friendly to others on campus is seen as an oddity, and many people refrain from getting involved to avoid the inevitable awkwardness.

Campus activities and sporting events also compete with a vibrant city life. With so much going on at all times, it’s hard to attract people to a game unless the team is perennially winning. The city also encourages students to slack off in their schoolwork and spend their nights at the Grove instead of studying. Combine that with jobs and internships, and who has time for campus life?

Being in college is a major transition in a person’s life. It’s the first time we have real independence, and at the same time we have few real-world responsibilities. College is the perfect time in our lives to be apathetic, be selfish and do what we want. It’s our time to figure out who we are and what we want from life. If laziness is your thing, now’s the time to roll with it.

But just because we can be apathetic doesn’t necessarily mean we should. College is a time of almost endless opportunity, with more than 200 organizations, sports teams and Greek life to get involved with.

Even joining one club gives you the opportunity to learn new roles and skills, and helps make the college experience a well-rounded one. Don’t remain stagnant just because it’s easy. Anyone can wear the logo, but it takes a special person to be the U. You’re here- take advantage!

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...