Memoirs of Freshman Year

It seems like only a few months ago when my parents and I were lugging all my belongings through the crowded Stanford/Hecht parking lot.

It was move-in day, and as I looked around, all the other students looked exactly like I felt: scared, excited, anxious, and above all, happy to finally be in college. I couldn’t believe it was finally here, the moment that I had dreamed about all my life. I was in college, and that meant freedom, knowledge, new friends and so much more.

At first, everything was so new that it overwhelmed me. I had never met so many people at once, I had never asked for directions so often and I certainly had never been completely in charge of my own life.

I quickly came to realize that college wasn’t everything I had imagined. Sure, I had seen plenty of movies that portrayed college life as an endless stream of frat parties, sleepless nights and cramming before huge exams. At first, I really struggled to keep up with both my classes and my social life. But soon enough, like most other people, I found my balance. I also befriended some of the most amazing people I have ever met. In fact, I’m still surprised at how strongly my friendships in college formed, but I suppose that comes hand in hand with living in such close proximity.

As the months progressed, I found myself missing high school less and less, and loving my newfound life at the university. During breaks, I counted down the days until I could return to the dorms- to my home. My friends here had become my family, the campus my world. I had never been so happy.

And just like that, all the novelty and excitement of freshman year was over. As I look back with nostalgia, there is nothing that I would do differently. I worked hard in school, was active in clubs, found a great group of friends and lived my life just as I had always wanted to. And now I am ready to face the challenges and new discoveries of sophomore year. As a final note to all incoming freshmen, buckle up for the time of your life!

Niloufar Abae is a freshman who is undeclared. She may be contacted at nabae@themiamihurricane.com.

Niloufar Abae

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...