Memoirs of Freshman Year

It seems like only a few months ago when my parents and I were lugging all my belongings through the crowded Stanford/Hecht parking lot.

It was move-in day, and as I looked around, all the other students looked exactly like I felt: scared, excited, anxious, and above all, happy to finally be in college. I couldn’t believe it was finally here, the moment that I had dreamed about all my life. I was in college, and that meant freedom, knowledge, new friends and so much more.

At first, everything was so new that it overwhelmed me. I had never met so many people at once, I had never asked for directions so often and I certainly had never been completely in charge of my own life.

I quickly came to realize that college wasn’t everything I had imagined. Sure, I had seen plenty of movies that portrayed college life as an endless stream of frat parties, sleepless nights and cramming before huge exams. At first, I really struggled to keep up with both my classes and my social life. But soon enough, like most other people, I found my balance. I also befriended some of the most amazing people I have ever met. In fact, I’m still surprised at how strongly my friendships in college formed, but I suppose that comes hand in hand with living in such close proximity.

As the months progressed, I found myself missing high school less and less, and loving my newfound life at the university. During breaks, I counted down the days until I could return to the dorms- to my home. My friends here had become my family, the campus my world. I had never been so happy.

And just like that, all the novelty and excitement of freshman year was over. As I look back with nostalgia, there is nothing that I would do differently. I worked hard in school, was active in clubs, found a great group of friends and lived my life just as I had always wanted to. And now I am ready to face the challenges and new discoveries of sophomore year. As a final note to all incoming freshmen, buckle up for the time of your life!

Niloufar Abae is a freshman who is undeclared. She may be contacted at nabae@themiamihurricane.com.

Niloufar Abae

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...