Culture

Fashion Forward: Celebratory Chic

Photo Illustration by Marlena Skrobe

Once again, the end of the semester is upon us, and with it comes fraternity and sorority formals, and of course graduation! But dressing for these special occasions can sometimes be stressful, especially for those who are overwhelmed with the last few days of classes and don’t have time to spare for shopping.

Girls:

Formal- Muted jewel-tone party dresses are very in this spring. Pale hues of blue, yellow and red are aplenty in stores, especially in strapless sweetheart neckline styles. Metallic accents and nude colored heels complete the look. But be sure to rock some “TSM-worthy” accessories, like diamonds, pearls and basically anything that glitters.

Graduation- Nothing says spring and new beginnings like a crisp white dress. Your graduation dress should express the formality of the occasion but still show off a little of your fun side. The BCBGMAXAZRIA “Emmie Embroidered Floral Chiffon Dress” does exactly that, but this dream dress is likely beyond the price point of most graduates. Nevertheless, look for similar styles that are celebratory, structured and still feminine.

Guys:

Formal- Nothing is sexier than a clean-shaven boy in a suit. Nothing. But in the case that the gentlemen of UM still want to up the ante, sport a bowtie and you’ll be the epitome of “fratty.” And if you’re looking to add something new to your formal attire, consider spending a little more for a designer quality leather belt. You’ll be able to use it for years to come and a variety of different occasions- an investment buy, if you will.

Graduation- Dress in the classic New England style this spring and sport a navy blue blazer, khakis and a button-down. But of course, be true to your school and work a little “UM orange and green” into your outfit, whether it’s on your tie, bowtie or Croakies. After all, these have been the best four years of your life, so make sure your graduation attire ends your UM career with a stylish bang.

Danielle Kaslow may be contacted at dkaslow@themiamihurricane.com.

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...