Fashion Forward: Celebratory Chic

Photo Illustration by Marlena Skrobe

Once again, the end of the semester is upon us, and with it comes fraternity and sorority formals, and of course graduation! But dressing for these special occasions can sometimes be stressful, especially for those who are overwhelmed with the last few days of classes and don’t have time to spare for shopping.

Girls:

Formal- Muted jewel-tone party dresses are very in this spring. Pale hues of blue, yellow and red are aplenty in stores, especially in strapless sweetheart neckline styles. Metallic accents and nude colored heels complete the look. But be sure to rock some “TSM-worthy” accessories, like diamonds, pearls and basically anything that glitters.

Graduation- Nothing says spring and new beginnings like a crisp white dress. Your graduation dress should express the formality of the occasion but still show off a little of your fun side. The BCBGMAXAZRIA “Emmie Embroidered Floral Chiffon Dress” does exactly that, but this dream dress is likely beyond the price point of most graduates. Nevertheless, look for similar styles that are celebratory, structured and still feminine.

Guys:

Formal- Nothing is sexier than a clean-shaven boy in a suit. Nothing. But in the case that the gentlemen of UM still want to up the ante, sport a bowtie and you’ll be the epitome of “fratty.” And if you’re looking to add something new to your formal attire, consider spending a little more for a designer quality leather belt. You’ll be able to use it for years to come and a variety of different occasions- an investment buy, if you will.

Graduation- Dress in the classic New England style this spring and sport a navy blue blazer, khakis and a button-down. But of course, be true to your school and work a little “UM orange and green” into your outfit, whether it’s on your tie, bowtie or Croakies. After all, these have been the best four years of your life, so make sure your graduation attire ends your UM career with a stylish bang.

Danielle Kaslow may be contacted at dkaslow@themiamihurricane.com.

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...