Basketball, Sports

Basketball coach selected

When new athletic director Shawn Eichorst was first introduced, he said he was looking for a basketball coach that is “a fundamentally sound teacher of the game.”
He may have found his man.
The University of Miami announced Jim Larranaga as its new head basketball coach on Friday night. He is leaving behind a program at George Mason that he has coached since 1997.
“I am very excited to be here,” Larranaga said in his introductory press conference. “It didn’t take me long to feel like a part of the program when [junior] Malcolm Grant tried to pronounce my last name correctly.”
In 14 years at George Mason, Larranaga compiled a record of 273-164. He led the Patriots to five NCAA tournaments in his time there, including a run to the Final Four back in 2006.
He takes over a program at Miami that went 43-69 over the past seven seasons for former coach Frank Haith. Though the program has struggled with attendance and plays in a competitive ACC, Larranaga has stated his willingness and excitement to take on the challenge.
“Our challenge is going to be to build a program that can sustain success over an extended period of time, so that everyone in this community is going to be dying to get a ticket to watch us play,” he said. “You may say ‘That ain’t happening here.’ But I’ve heard all that before.”
In his limited time here, he believes that the talent on the Hurricane roster can compete with anyone else in the country.
“I would not have left [George Mason] if we did not feel that we had that we have that caliber of talent already here at the U,” he said. “That we had the capabilities of challenging the very best teams, not only in the ACC, but in the entire country.”

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...