Student-run app company gets wordy with ‘Quotebook’

Can’t remember who said “carpe diem?” Finally, there’s an app for that.

Sophomore Brian Capps, along with partners Matt Bischoff and Andrew Harrison, created a new iPhone app called Quotebook through their mobile application development company, Lickability. The app was released on March 30.

Quotebook allows users to store quotes and share them with friends through social networks. Users can also add tags and other information about the quote before storing it. It is the first app to allow users to add quotes to their own database.

“Most apps go the opposite way,” Capps said. “We started with a clean slate.”

Quotebook ranks among the top 20 applications in the “reference” category in Apple’s App Store and carries a five-star rating from users.

“I’m happy with the whole thing. It turned out better than I first imagined,” said Capps, who hopes to make a career out of developing mobile applications.

According to Capps, the trio was surprised by the first weeks of sales. In the coming weeks, the app will see its first update, which will fix minor problems in the software.

Quotebook is currently on sale for $1.99 on iTunes and is only available for the iPhone.

Capps hopes to develop a version of Quotebook for  the iPad in the future.

Kristian Alwill may be contacted at kalwill@themiamihurricane.com.

Kristian Alwill

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...