Student-run app company gets wordy with ‘Quotebook’

Can’t remember who said “carpe diem?” Finally, there’s an app for that.

Sophomore Brian Capps, along with partners Matt Bischoff and Andrew Harrison, created a new iPhone app called Quotebook through their mobile application development company, Lickability. The app was released on March 30.

Quotebook allows users to store quotes and share them with friends through social networks. Users can also add tags and other information about the quote before storing it. It is the first app to allow users to add quotes to their own database.

“Most apps go the opposite way,” Capps said. “We started with a clean slate.”

Quotebook ranks among the top 20 applications in the “reference” category in Apple’s App Store and carries a five-star rating from users.

“I’m happy with the whole thing. It turned out better than I first imagined,” said Capps, who hopes to make a career out of developing mobile applications.

According to Capps, the trio was surprised by the first weeks of sales. In the coming weeks, the app will see its first update, which will fix minor problems in the software.

Quotebook is currently on sale for $1.99 on iTunes and is only available for the iPhone.

Capps hopes to develop a version of Quotebook for  the iPad in the future.

Kristian Alwill may be contacted at kalwill@themiamihurricane.com.

Kristian Alwill

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...