Baseball, Sports

Miami-UNC Matchups

Starting Pitching Advantage: Miami (FL)

Miami’s starters have been outstanding. Out of the three weekend starters of Bryan Radziewski, E.J. Encinosa, and Eric Whaley, Whaley has the highest ERA and it’s only a 3.00.  North Carolina’s weekend starters led by Kent Emmanuel, who has a 2.86 ERA and a five to one strikeout to walk ratio, form formidable opposition to the Canes, but are not quite on the same level. Emmanuel, however, went down in the second inning of Saturday’s game against NC State.

Bullpen Advantage: Even

Despite a few minor hiccups, Daniel Miranda and Sam Robinson have been lights-out out of the Cane bullpen. When the starters hand the bullpen the lead through seven innings, it’s usually a done deal. UNC has a few bright spots out of the pen but nothing spectacular.

Catcher Advantage: North Carolina

Jacob Stallings of the Tar Heels is hitting .278 with two home runs and 26 RBI. It’s nothing out of this world, but it’s much better than what the Canes have gotten out of the catcher position as they’ve struggled to get any kind of production all year.

Infield Advantage: North Carolina

While Harold Martinez has done a good job of improving that once-dreadful average back up to over .300, we still have not seen the power numbers we expected from him. Zeke DeVoss has been playing second base as of late; he leads the team with 24 stolen bases. UNC has a stacked infield. When you go around the horn with the Tar Heels, you find their top four hitters. All four have an average of at least .313. Third baseman Colin Moran leads the team with seven home runs and 52 RBI.

Outfield Advantage: Even

Essentially all of North Carolina’s offense comes from their infield so their outfield is not quite up to par. Miami would have the advantage here with Melendres and DeVoss in their outfield, but DeVoss would now technically would be categorized under infield as he’s been playing the diamond dirt as of late.

Intangibles: Miami

North Carolina, despite being the No. 10 team in the nation, is coming off a difficult sweep to the NC State. Miami is 7-1 in road ACC games, and if you exclude the three-game sweep Georgia Tech handed them, their total ACC record would be 13-1. If Miami’s starting pitchers can go deep into their outings in Chapel Hill and shut down the middle of the Tar Heel lineup, the Canes could easily take this series.

David Furones

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...