Earth Day destinations

Looking to surround yourself with fellow tree huggers and go green for Earth Day? There are plenty of ways to celebrate around Miami this weekend.

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden will offer free admission on Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Local food trucks, including “gastroPod,” “MexZican Gourmet” and “Dolci Peccati Gelato,” will be on the grounds, and at 11 a.m. Rina Yoga will hold a free class in Fairchild’s Garden House.

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden is located at 10901 Old Cutler Rd. For more information, visit fairchildgarden.org.

South Miami

The South Miami farmers’ market at City Hall will add several Earth Day events on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Green products and food grown by local farmers will be on sale, and experts on energy efficiency, gardening and recycling will be available to offer advice.

The farmer’s market will be held at 6130 Sunset Dr.

Palms Hotel

Head to the Palms Hotel on Saturday at 4 p.m. for their first “Shoreline Social,” a beach cleanup between 29th and 32nd Street. The Palms is a part of the City of Miami Beach’s Adopt-A-Beach program. Following the two-hour cleanup, enjoy poolside cocktails and snacks at the hotel. Guests must be 21 and older.

To sign up for the event, email tmorariu@thepalmshotel.com. The Palms Hotel is located at 3025 Collins Ave. Volunteers should meet at the Tiki Cabanas in the Palms’ tropical garden.

EVOS

EVOS, dubbed the “Greenest Burger Chain in America” by greenopia.com three years in a row, will be offering free organic milkshakes to their customers on Friday. Their menu, which promotes sustainability, includes burgers, wraps, salads and “airfries,” which are baked rather than deep-fried.

EVOS is located on 9537 S. Dixie Highway in the Dadeland Plaza shopping center.

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sdandes@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...