Staff Editorial: Don’t waste your summer scooping ice cream

Back in high school, summer was the most anticipated time of year. It was filled with late nights and lazy days, and the toughest decision you had to make was what time to wake up to hit the beach.

But for college students, summer means jobs and internships. Or, of course, a lack thereof. You lose weeks of your spring applying for dozens of them, and may now be biting your nails down to nothing, hoping that one of them will work out.

However, a study conducted by Australian National University claims students should stop worrying about unemployment. Researchers have found that having a bad job may be worse for your mental health than having no job at all (income notwithstanding).

Because having a job grants a person both purpose and a structured role, it was long thought that having any job would make a person happier than being unemployed.

It is just now coming to light that this is only true for high-quality jobs. Low-quality jobs (those with high demands, low control, high job insecurity and an effort-reward imbalance) are actually more detrimental than joblessness.

With the economy being the way it is, giving up the job search may sound like an appealing idea. Here at UM, though, we have plenty of resources to help us make sure that we don’t graduate without any experience.

Toppel offers career advice and resume critiques, and many departments have internship coordinators to help with your search. Entering the real world without previous experience isn’t the smartest idea, so consider taking advantage of what UM has to offer.

For those who have yet to nab that elusive internship or job, this could take some weight off your shoulders.

Scooping ice cream may be (slightly) better for your bank account, but it may not do your mind any favors. Try volunteering to stay busy and keep your spirits up (and add to your resume!). Read a good book, take a trip, don’t stress and have a good summer!

Staff editorials represent the majority opinion of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...