Staff Editorial: Don’t waste your summer scooping ice cream

Back in high school, summer was the most anticipated time of year. It was filled with late nights and lazy days, and the toughest decision you had to make was what time to wake up to hit the beach.

But for college students, summer means jobs and internships. Or, of course, a lack thereof. You lose weeks of your spring applying for dozens of them, and may now be biting your nails down to nothing, hoping that one of them will work out.

However, a study conducted by Australian National University claims students should stop worrying about unemployment. Researchers have found that having a bad job may be worse for your mental health than having no job at all (income notwithstanding).

Because having a job grants a person both purpose and a structured role, it was long thought that having any job would make a person happier than being unemployed.

It is just now coming to light that this is only true for high-quality jobs. Low-quality jobs (those with high demands, low control, high job insecurity and an effort-reward imbalance) are actually more detrimental than joblessness.

With the economy being the way it is, giving up the job search may sound like an appealing idea. Here at UM, though, we have plenty of resources to help us make sure that we don’t graduate without any experience.

Toppel offers career advice and resume critiques, and many departments have internship coordinators to help with your search. Entering the real world without previous experience isn’t the smartest idea, so consider taking advantage of what UM has to offer.

For those who have yet to nab that elusive internship or job, this could take some weight off your shoulders.

Scooping ice cream may be (slightly) better for your bank account, but it may not do your mind any favors. Try volunteering to stay busy and keep your spirits up (and add to your resume!). Read a good book, take a trip, don’t stress and have a good summer!

Staff editorials represent the majority opinion of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...