Look out for new artist Cris Cab

Courtesy Katherine Furniss

If Bob Marley, John Mayer, Wiz Khalifa and Kanye West had a lovechild, what would be the result?

The answer is Cris Cab, a Miami native, the new hip-hop/reggae influenced artist on Pharrell’s Star Trak label. Although Cab is only 19, he started writing songs at 15. He was recently discovered by Pharrell, famed rap artist, record producer, clothes designer and lead vocalist and drummer from the band N.E.R.D.

Cab said that his connections were a key part of working with Pharrell. A friend of a friend spread the news about Cab’s songs to Pharrell, so Pharrell called him into the studio and requested to hear a few songs.

“He told me what I needed to fix, so a year later, I came back after having worked on those things and played for him again,” Cab said. “He’s mostly my mentor to help me through this business.”

Of his original music, Cab said he focuses on writing about relationships. Proud of his Miami roots, Cab chose to feature 10 UM students in the music video for his new song, “Good Girls,” a song with a catchy beat and a sincere message to unfaithful guys who cheat on their girlfriends.

“I’m not opposed to college- it just depends how much time I have in a few years. If I were to choose, I would definitely go to UM,” he said.

Look out for Cris Cab’s new album at the end of the summer, and if you are going to be in Miami or the Bahamas, keep an eye out for his upcoming shows.

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.