Look out for new artist Cris Cab

Courtesy Katherine Furniss

If Bob Marley, John Mayer, Wiz Khalifa and Kanye West had a lovechild, what would be the result?

The answer is Cris Cab, a Miami native, the new hip-hop/reggae influenced artist on Pharrell’s Star Trak label. Although Cab is only 19, he started writing songs at 15. He was recently discovered by Pharrell, famed rap artist, record producer, clothes designer and lead vocalist and drummer from the band N.E.R.D.

Cab said that his connections were a key part of working with Pharrell. A friend of a friend spread the news about Cab’s songs to Pharrell, so Pharrell called him into the studio and requested to hear a few songs.

“He told me what I needed to fix, so a year later, I came back after having worked on those things and played for him again,” Cab said. “He’s mostly my mentor to help me through this business.”

Of his original music, Cab said he focuses on writing about relationships. Proud of his Miami roots, Cab chose to feature 10 UM students in the music video for his new song, “Good Girls,” a song with a catchy beat and a sincere message to unfaithful guys who cheat on their girlfriends.

“I’m not opposed to college- it just depends how much time I have in a few years. If I were to choose, I would definitely go to UM,” he said.

Look out for Cris Cab’s new album at the end of the summer, and if you are going to be in Miami or the Bahamas, keep an eye out for his upcoming shows.

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...